UPCOMING: Events

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mysis Shrimp Propagation

I find it interesting that the pod population continues to grow. I would have thought the mysis would eat the pods. I can't wait to see how things turn out for you! Your ponies will grow some much faster on mysis than ABS!

The mysis are consuming the pods, however they just keep coming back with the amount of food I am feeding these systems. My mysis nursery has at least 50 juveniles in it again and my other 3 tanks have too many to count. I found it interesting that the mysis population will grow and then decline , then grow again, as does the copepod population. When I harvest the mysis to feed my seahorses I see a distinct decline in the population and with in 2 weeks it is back up to where it was before.
    Cheryl

Well I moved all the subadults out of the nursery and into GP tanks. I then started to collect pregnant females out of the original tank, that had a declining population due to harvesting adults for seahorse food. Each time I caught a large female to move into the nursery I also caught at least a half dozen tiny mysis in the net. The population in that tank is once again producing mysis in large numbers and I need to start feeding out mysis from my 30 gallon to reduce the population and stimulate breeding in that tank.
    Cheryl

This is such a cool project. Ever think about selling once the population gets really large? I know I'd buy some!

Do you have any pics of your setup Cheryl?
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267

Sorry for the slow response Justin I have been very busy refinishing my kitchen cabinets (it is saving me thousands). There are some pictures on page 2 of this thread. Basically I am using 3 seahorse nursery tubs and a growout tank that has the overflow covered with 50 micron mesh for the mysis shrimp. I will post more pictures asap. I am sure if I set up the mysis generator I built a few years back my numbers would be larger, although it is getting to the point the population is expanding even with heavy predation from me. The seahorse nursery systems are designed to prevent tiny pelagic seahorse from entering the filter sock, so they work well for newborn mysis. My newborn seahorse are about the same diameter as a newborn mysis and seahorses are only slightly longer. Newborn mysis are too large for very young comes fry to consume. I would think the young mysis would make a great meal for fish, such as, mandarins. In my opinion they are easier to culture than copepods.
    Cheryl

Cheryl. I sent you a pm

Jose
    MUHAHAHAHA...I am back...MUHAHAHAHA

11Lx3Tx3W

wont fit thru the doors???? there are double side windows...l got this ..MUHAHAHA

I would love to learn more about your mysis culturing techniques, as it would be necessary for me to start and maintain a decent-sized culture if I were to ever feel comfortable enough with my ability as an aquarist to proceed with my dream build (weedy seadragons). In the mean time, it would also be beneficial to produce live mysis for my current tank that's sort of easing me in to those requirements that's centered around potbelly seahorses.