UPCOMING: Events

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to San Antonio Tx.

Thumbs up Moving to San Antonio Tx.

Hello,
    I want to share that i will be moving to San Antonio TX. I got a new job and requires me to relocate before the year so I wanted to start knowing people and getting tips on how to move my tank. I own a Red Sea max 250 pretty much it's all custom now. It has a custom sump and refugium, an in sump skimmer and replaced my T5s with Steve's LEDs.

thanks everyone!

miguel

Hey man! Welcome, the best thing you can do for your inhabitants is investing in a reliable battery powered bubbler, as well as several buckets or tubs to allow you to transport your stock. My usual setup for the hour drive between semesters to move my tank was: 2x 5 gallon jugs with fresh salt water, and 3x 5 gallon buckets, filled about 1/2 way with salt water and a top with a hole drilled in. I then ran a battery powered bait bubbler from Walmart in each one. I usually didn't move too many fish but I would try to space them among the buckets and the corals I usually kept them on whatever rocks they were on, again usually one large rock per bucket (back in my 10 gallon days). I don't recall ever losing anything while moving.

How long has your tank been setup?

Thanks for your tip!
    my tank has been running for a little bit over two years. As far as corals i used to have more sps but being a newbie and started experimenting and ended up bleaching half of my Acros by dipping them using Bayer. I Added a few more acros which I have now on my frag rack. They're doing good I don't want to add more until I complete moving but it's so hard resisting lol.

Im from El Paso Tx by the way

Yeah here to El paso I'd probably invest in one of the converter boxes to run power to a few heaters as well, for some reason I read Austin. My only other concern would be when you add everything back in, if your sand bed was to be disturbed you be releasing some bad stuff into your water column. My tanks never had a lot of sand so I was always replacing each time I moved.

Zack's advice is pretty sound. Regardless of how much sand you have, I would toss it out and start off fresh with new stuff. I made the mistake of keeping the same sand when I upgraded my 40 to a 100 and a nuked almost all of my SPS and really ****ed off my other corals. Safe bet is to have some pre-made water in a couple of jugs to use for fresh replenishment and get a couple of buckets from Lowes or Home Depot.

I would definitly invest in an inverter to have a plug for your heaters to plug into. With the weather being as great as it currently is, cold temperature shouldn't be a problem. I would reach out to one of your LFS's in El Paso and see if you can purchase several large fish bags to store your corals. What I've seen some vendors do at Macna and other places is take some Styrofoam and cut a slit for the coral plugs to fit right in. That way your corals are floating upside down and not rolling around in your bags. Be sure to add as much water as possible for your corals to float in and place the bags in the buckets.

Remember that corals get shipped from all over the world in small bags, so this 4-5 minute trip shouldn't be too bad for them. The main this is to ensure that they are not rocking around in the bags you have them in. You can wrap your rocks in moist newspaper and stuff them in bags or in the buckets as well. Fish on the other hand are a different story. I figured the battery pump will be enough oxygen for them while they ship with you.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267

I also can't stress enough the importance of having your fish tank being the last thing that you pack and the first thing that you unpack. If you can secure a full floor plan of your new home with exact dimensions so you know exactly where your fish tank is going to be, or even do a walk-through. For me, my dorms are always randomly assigned but I definitely did my homework as far as where exactly I was going to put my fish tank, so the movies usually went pretty smoothly.

Default Moving to San Antonio Tx.

Welcome to MAAST Miguel!

Thanks everyone!

i talked to one of El Paso LFS and I asked them if they could hold my corals and fish while I'm there for a couple of weeks and I pay shipping so they can ship them to me to SA and the best part of it is they agreed.

i was thinking of getting a small frag tank. I care more about my Acros (even though they are not that high end) than anything else.

I mi will post a couple of pictures of them

These are some of my corals

Quote Originally Posted by Snyper19 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I accidentally fragged this one, I'm looking to trade this one from the picture above
    [IMG][/IMG]

I just got these a week ago

1.Blueberry fields
    2.Rasp sherbert
    3.Red robin
    4.Yellow tort
    5.C-quarium unknown
    6.Copps miyagi
    7.BC Glo stick
    8.Pink Lemonade
    9.Blue Lagoon (not in picture)

[IMG][/IMG]