UPCOMING: Events

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What can our club do for you?

Default What can our club do for you?

Well guys and gals our club has drastically diminished over the last 5 months or so. I find myself bouncing around various other forums looking for some conversation about reefing, fish keeping , etc... as the posting here has come almost to a complete halt. I see a lot of traffic through out the day but no one posting anywhere. As a member of the board, I would love to hear what we as the BOD can do to rejuvenate our club. Please feel free to voice your concerns and opinions as to what we can do to better serve you and to get our club back to the thriving marine aquarium keeping community that we have all enjoyed in the past.
    Please, if you have any ideas and or concerns don't hesitate to post. I am going to continue to update this OP to keep track of all of our ideas and thoughts to make it easier to consolidate them.

Here is the list of OUR agenda:
    Generate revenue (To make a lot of the things happen that we want to see we need to generate more revenue.)
    - Frag swap entrance fee for everyone ($10.00?)
    - Nice logo polo shirts to sell at meetings and events
    - Sell raffle tickets for NICE door prizes at the meetings and events Our next raffle will be taking place at our Christmas Social. Details coming soon!
    - Encourage renewal/ new charter memberships
    - Increase number of sponsorship
    - Quarterly frag swaps( encourage more member trading at all of these events), at least two of these to be true to the essence of the hobby and not allow any sales (only trading and giving of coral and equipment).

Encourage new club membership
    - Advertising through our sponsors store fronts using business cards, posters, displayed banner. Nanoreefer is actively working on this
    - Car stickers
    - Advertise the forum / club on Craigslist.
    - Hobby newbie forum section to include Q and A section. The BOD is actively working on this. Look for it to be opened up in the next week or two.
    - Encourage new member posting on forum not discourage them by flaming or derogatory remarks.
    - Would it be beneficial to allow web members to post items for sale?

Liven up our site
    - Update the home page weekly with a featured members tank, marine aquarium article, hot topic of forum discussion, newly released equipment on the market, product review news, etc... We are currently working on getting this going. Hoping to announce it for November
    - Get Tank of the Month and or Tank of the Quarter back off the ground. We are currently working on getting this going. Hoping to announce it for November
    - Get Photo of the Month back off the ground. POTM is back in action! Now we just need you to participate!
    - Coral Grow-out Competition It is there!! Get signed up!!

Encourage having at least some of our monthly meetings at members homes to spot light their tank builds, husbandry, hobby experiences, etc...

Get back to having our events!!
    - Annual Port Aransas bonfire, critter collection, and social.
    - Member/ Sponsor Tank Tour.
    - San Antonio Zoo Trip.
    - SeaWorld Coral Propagation (behind the scenes) Tour.
    - MAAST fishing tournament / trip The "looking for interest" thread is up. I am going to push hard on this after the first of the year and try to plan this for April

This will be an ongoing list, please feel free to add to it. We need to keep in mind that many of these things take revenue and volunteer time so it is imperative that we ALL participate and work together to make them happen. I cant reiterate that enough. That being said, we have some committees that have opening which need to be filled by you. If you are interested in helping with any of these committees please let us know. To my knowledge most of these committees are completely vacant at this time. If i am wrong will those members please come forward to re-stake your spots?

The committee list is as follows:
    - Educational Committee- Scutterborn
    - Meetings Committee- Pennies2Cents She is seeking a member volunteer to help her plan out our meetings. If you are interested please contact her by PM
    - Newsletter Committee- Southern Flame She is seeking a member volunteer to help her compose the monthly newsletter. If you are interested please contact her by PM.
    - Marketing Committee- Nanoreefer and BlueKoran 91
    - Sponsorship Committee- Pennies2Cents She is seeking a member volunteer to help her visit our current sponsors as well as seek out new ones. If you are interested please contact her by PM
    - Tank of the Month and or Quarter - clownfitch/ I am happy to announce that CoryDude would like to continue to head up this committee. He also plans to add to his role a tank highlight series and weekly member tank photos updated on our homepage! If you would like to help please contact him. Thank you CoryDude!

To the BOD and particularly the Officers of the BOD. I sincerely hope that I have not stepped on anyone's toes or over stepped my bounds in starting this thread. Over my few months as being a member of the Board I have seen a drastic drop off in member participation and interest and feel it is my duty as an elected member of the Board to do my part in "Righting the ship" so to speak.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and ideas so far. Please keep them coming. It would also be great to hear from our new members.
    Last edited by Dean; Thu, 23rd Oct 2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: additional information

What about a fragging seminar or similar event?

Hey Jim, thank you for your response. We try to hold a monthly educational meeting where we cover various different topics. I believe fragging was covered late last year or early this year but we will definitely hold another fragging meeting in the near future. We have someone looking into getting SeaWorld to hold a coral propagation meeting in the near future as well which would be of course open to all members and free of charge as are all of our other meetings.

Not a criticism, but meetings have been sporatic at best, with most of the focus on the two frag events (let's not call them swaps, since very little trading and all selling goes on) the club has had. Trust me, I have been there, so know what a pain meetings can be to organize and handle. More educational events and things, like tank tours, the Port A trip, etc might help with getting people more involved. Of course with the often poor attendance, it is a two edged sword. Sorry if this comes across as negative.
    http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...riumsmile1.gif - Mike and Kristy -

"You're gonna need a bigger boat." Brody (Jaws)

My two pennies... And bear in mind that it's only my opinion.

The problem from my foxhole is that everyone knows everything (of course there's always something to learn).

So what drives a great discussion?

It's the noobs. They come in with questions and bright shiny eyes, and the group descends to assist. Questions and discussions ensue and even the old fossils learn a new thing or two. The new membership has always been the lifeblood of the organization.

New membership?
    Reefing 210
    Multi-Genera

I agree with Alan. I am in Austin and mostly lurk on MAAST. This is what I see generating activity on ARC: people get excited about new members, about new builds, and about risk takers who are trying new things...

Default Re: What can our club do for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not a criticism, but meetings have been sporatic at best, with most of the focus on the two frag events (let's not call them swaps, since very little trading and all selling goes on) the club has had. Trust me, I have been there, so know what a pain meetings can be to organize and handle. More educational events and things, like tank tours, the Port A trip, etc might help with getting people more involved. Of course with the often poor attendance, it is a two edged sword. Sorry if this comes across as negative.
    That didn't come off as criticism at all Mike. Thank you very much for you input.
    Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    My two pennies... And bear in mind that it's only my opinion.

The problem from my foxhole is that everyone knows everything (of course there's always something to learn).

So what drives a great discussion?

It's the noobs. They come in with questions and bright shiny eyes, and the group descends to assist. Questions and discussions ensue and even the old fossils learn a new thing or two. The new membership has always been the lifeblood of the organization.

New membership?
    I agree with you 100% Allan. We need to inspire new membership and also embrace them when they come to us for answers to questions and looking for advice. We have the ball rolling on a couple of things to help inspire new membership and of course we are always open to suggestions from all of our members.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I agree with Alan. I am in Austin and mostly lurk on MAAST. This is what I see generating activity on ARC: people get excited about new members, about new builds, and about risk takers who are trying new things...
    ARC is a fantastic club with a very tight knit membership. Mike has done a great job there. We could absolutely take a few plays from their book.

Facebook has killed Forums. I find myself on those groups more, not saying they are better but more convenient as they show up on my feed. some groups are little more "adult friendly" and others are very strict. but honestly it's just the ease of having all my groups in one place, includes other hobbies also.
    I just pop in and out of maast, just to see what's going on. lately just for sale stuff, few decent threads. not sure what can make people come on here to discuss new things you can just google.
    Last edited by Big_Pun; Fri, 19th Sep 2014 at 10:03 AM.
    REEF MAFIA
    "TEFLON DON"

I like the tank tours and the events.

Yes, I know, it's hard to get people to volunteer for the tank tours. Because no one wants to come across as bragging. We all know there are many great tanks in SA. Volunteer the owners instead. Most everyone would be more than open to the visits.

I also miss the Monday evening chats. They were a ton of fun. I never got much work done.

I'm all for a Sea World or Zoo event again.
    Bill

215g FOWLR... and anemones, GSP, gorgonians... carp, that isn't FO!

"I killed my first SW Fish in 1971..."

INCREASE TRAFFIC allow webbies to post 1for sale and have it locked (no editing)

SHIRT DESIGN change the shirt design to a black tshirt with a white font hiphop style and also provide polo style MAAST shirt to generate funds. I would like to be able to go to a restaurant with a MAAST shirt. image is everything

DOUBLE the frag swaps and find locations where there is no cost or little cost

INCREASE attention by provide posters, shirts, etc . . . at the sponsor stores

Just some ideas to chat about. Good day
    Last edited by BBQHILLBILLY; Fri, 19th Sep 2014 at 12:45 PM.
    happy reefing
    Lets ride