UPCOMING: Events

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member intro

Default new member intro

Just saying hi to everyone. My name is Chris Powell. Been in SA for a year now (air force member @ lackland). I am very new to reefing (tank been up for 3 months now). I am running a 6 gallong fluval edge reef.. funny most people start big and then go smaller.. I guess I'm just backwards. So far no major issues except my nightmare nitrate problem (between 40-80ppm with API kit). I don't have any fish.. just coral and inverts. Well thats bout it for now. Feel free to hit me up anytime about anything. Thanks guys.. Happy Reefing ^^

PS. Tank pic with be up soon

Default new member intro

First, thank you for serving our Country.
    Second, API Nitrate tests are notorious for being off. At one time mine read blood red, panicked and took water sample to LFS. Their tests showed 10-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To all Military.....Thank you for your service

Default new member intro

Welcome. Thank you.

I second the trouble with API test kits. I have a Red Sea kit you're welcome to come get and try your luck with.
    John

"Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place and then come down and shoot the survivors." Ernest Hemingway

Thank you for serving! And welcome to our beautiful city

Hard to imagine where those kind of nitrates would even come from with no fish, only coral and inverts! Can't be right.

PS: welcome to MAAST and San Antonio. Appreciate your military service.
    http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...riumsmile1.gif - Kristy and Mike -

210 g reef tank started 3/15/08; 20 g hex reef tank started 1/3/08, ended 3/30/14

"I must be a mermaid.... I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." - Anais Nin
    "To travel is to take a journey into yourself." - Danny Kaye

Default new member intro

Thanks you all for your support. Glad to be here. I don't know anyone with a SW tank so kinda hard to find ppl to chat with. I was feeding the coral brine without rinsing it..fuel.. And phytoplankton-m. But I'm only feeding them once a week now till I figure out this Nitrate problem. Maybe I should try a different kit. All my Lps look happy and are growing nicely so I dunno .. Shrug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default new member intro

Phyto/fuel are to blame....

In such a small tank with no skimmer is the cause, im sure....
    ReeF mafiA

welcome to maast
    [FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=3]20g JBJ hydra 26
    90g DSA [/SIZE][/FONT]

Looking to switch to reef roids. stopped by elegant reef today but they were sold out..said a shipment is coming with more Wednesday or thursday. Anyone else tried fuel? I heard its just amino acids and shouldnt cause nitrate spikes, but i dont know. I laid off the phyto for about a week. lps and sps still looking good so i think im fine

Default new member intro

Feeding too much in a small environment can cause several water quality issues. What are you doing for nutrient export?
    John

"Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place and then come down and shoot the survivors." Ernest Hemingway