UPCOMING: Events

Thread: New member intro and need help on LR placement

Default New member intro and need help on LR placement

Hi there,

New member, I live on the Northwest side of San Antonio. I have kept FOWLR tanks in the past, and never pulled the trigger on a reef. Also, due to traveling with work I was away from the aquarium hobby for about 7 years. Last year I settled into one location and started a freshwater planted tank. The plan was to have one, maybe two tanks. 13 months later I am up to 6 planted freshwater tanks, 1 saltwater nano in progress and several planted mini jars.

I have been lurking for a while and decided to sign up, and I am looking forward to learning more about the hobby. My nano has been up and running for a few months now. The water parameters have been steady for quite some time. However, I wanted to have a good feel for how they would be effected by feeding the fish, evaporation, etc, before adding any corals. In the mean time I have been working on my rock scape. I have liked some designs better than others. Below is the current layout and I would appreciate any tips or tricks to improve it. I have a small tank, and bought too much rock so not much room to work with.
    10 gallon tank
    10lbs sand
    20" coralife 96 watt power compact (also want to change this)
    hydor koralia nano
    Aquaclear 50 modified into HOB fuge with live rock rubble and chaeto
    Aquaclear 30 with 25 watt heater, and as a space to run purigen and phosguard as needed.
    1 yellow clown goby, 1 antenna goby, and assorted small snails for clean up crew.
    DSCF0005res.jpg

Welcome to the board!

I'd love to help you with your rocks, but I've yet to figure mine out thus far.

I'm on the NW side of town too, so if you need anything or want to shoot the breeze give me a holler.
    -You had me at PWM

Thank you for the reply Rrasco. I am still working on the rock. Sometimes I move it around and like it less than what I started with. I am sure I will work something out soon. Also, there is a general aquarium hobby group we started on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/texasaquariumhobbyist/ it is a nice place to discuss anything aquarium related, saltwater, freshwater etc. Also, if anyone is into freshwater planted tanks we have https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAAPC/

Currently I trying to read all I can on lighting. I would like to replace my 96 watt compact fluorescent fixture with something else before it goes out, and I have to replace it fast. Since my current tank is pretty small and short Im sure I could get away with T5HO lighting, but I am also looking into LED. The Kessil LED pendant lights are looking pretty nice.