UPCOMING: Events

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The shallow pool 2/4 Update p.3

I need to construct me one of those...

construction zone that is... awesome work area...
    ReeF mafiA

Just wait till I start the build on the 90g cube. It's 36" tall........the hilarity will commence, I'm going to have to climb in upside down to work on the sandbed

Tony, thanks. That's my shop. 16' of workbench in a 12x20 building...........and I should have built it twice as big! What you can't see is the rest of it..........welder, two table saws, 16' of triple shelving on the other side. And a small woodburning stove that keeps it toasty in there when the weather is crummy. It makes it easy to work on stuff.
    Support marine aquaculture, and share with your friends! Then you will find out who they really are.

Default The shallow pool

Sump water test is underway.

The overflow and related plumbing are done. Once I build the light standard the tank can move into place.
    Support marine aquaculture, and share with your friends! Then you will find out who they really are.

Default The shallow pool

Nice!!

-Ben-
    "Wisdom is not the product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it"
    - Albert Einstein

http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann..._5.75_dark.png

Very nice ummm thats alot of weight on that tailgate scary
    Paul
    120g Softy/Lps, 30g Sump/Fuge, Current Tank Born Nov 2005, T5/Mh , #2 TOTQ 2013

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wavesmile.gifI don't understand why people can't just enjoy their little piece of the ocean http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/wavesmile.gif

Default The shallow pool

Good job, sherita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reefing 210
    Multi-Genera

It's in the house and set in place. Please ignore the 2x4 nonsense in the right side of the picture, that's the disassembled stand that is on the frag system that this tank is replacing. Soon it will be gone.

A shot of the sump area. Plenty of room to work in there! Once the old system is out of my way then life will get much easier for me.

The light standards have been built and are bolted on. Now I can actually start setting this tank up. I've got to build the canopy this evening or in the morning and paint it. I can start plumbing this sucker in first thing in the morning. If I'm lucky, it will be wet by nightfall!

There is still much to do. Build fan brackets for the sump, light brackets for fuge lighting and work lighting in the sump/stand. Plumb drains and return, heaters (inline), ato float switches. Once it's wet and running, then I have to move over the controller, livestock, moonlights, macro and live rock, skimmer, etc, etc.

The sump is a beast for no larger than this tank is, I wanted plenty of room for live rock and macro algae. And enough room for the skimmer that I didn't have to pick a fight every time it needed to be pulled out and cleaned.

The tank itself will have eggcrate that stands 1" above the bottom of the tank. The return is designed so that the water coming from the pump goes to a custom below rack return bar (made of 1/2" acrylic tubing, cut and bent to fit around the overflow) that runs the full width of the tank. The bar sits on the very bottom/back of the tank, and has 527,000 holes drilled in it (I know this, because I drilled every last stinking one of them), all pointed towards the front of the tank. The idea is for the return water to exit the bar, travel to the front of the tank, then up and over the frag racks on its return journey to the overflow. I'm hoping that this will prevent the buildup of detritus on the bottom of the tank, as well as providing the gentle flow that my zoas like so much. If this doesn't work, then I will remove the bar and install locline returns. We'll see how well it works soon enough.

Sherita, did you build the stand yourself?

Default The shallow pool Update p.2

527,000. Um, I'd have lost my mind...

-Ben-
    "Wisdom is not the product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it"
    - Albert Einstein

http://sincemylastcigarette.com/bann..._5.75_dark.png

Zack, Bill and I built it.......so, yes. It's home built. Mine are all built with dimensional lumber as the frame. I have zero trust in all plywood stands. I have my suspicions that the glut of stands on the market that use no dimensional lumber is one of the reasons we are seeing big tanks failing. Just a theory, but after being in construction for way too many years, I'm suspicious of anything that doesn't appear sturdy to my eyes. The strong frame is particularly important to me since I live on a pier and beam house that heaves every time the weather changes. This tank isn't too bad, but my upcoming 210g........no way I would trust that to a ply stand without some serious beefing up. The stand for that will be built with 2x6's, and you will be able to park a truck on it with no problems.

Ben, maybe it wasn't 527,000 but it dang sure felt like it by the time I got done. Over 5 feet of tubing, holes every 1/2". Like I said, 527,000.
    Last edited by Sherita; Sat, 2nd Feb 2013 at 09:11 PM.