UPCOMING: Events

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We got babies (Rod's Onyx Percula)

The parent clowns are awesome! nice coloration and pattern

TCT,
    I keep the dark black one. The other I gave to GC Reef. I pair that Onyx Percula with a Ocellaris Snowflakes. I keep them in a reef tank at the office and not taken really good care of them as I should. Today they just lay their first clutch of eggs. I think I will try to raise fry from this pair. Snowflakes and Onyx should make interesting babies.

Start of PHD#5 right now. All the 56 babies are doing well. I have plenty of rotifers. I should be able to raise all of the fry this time. Will see how the snowflakes pair's egg look like tomorrow.
    Minh

Start of PHD#6, all fry accounted for and doing well. I added Otohime A, just a small amount today. Will see how they take it. I think there are too much rotifer in the water and they are too full to go after the Oto A.
    I need to prepare for the hatch next week. Need another heater. The sponge filter I ordered arrived. I think I will need to get some live phytoplankton (have not got them yet) to add to the fry tank. This (the phytoplankton and the sponge filter) will keep ammonia down. I am thinking of add a small LR with Macro algae in it also. I don't think this will impede cleaning of the tank and will go a long way in keeping ammonia down in the fry tank, especially if I have several hundred instead of 56 fry.
    Minh

nice Minh! Hey if you do add liverock to the fry tank make sure it doesn't have any pests in it that could harm the babies. I cannot think of any other reason to not add it...though I'm new to this as well, maybe someone else will have some insight.

Well, this morning I got the office and confirmed that my Onyx and Snowflake pair got their first spawn, a puny little nest of 50 eggs or so eggs only. If the eggs develop normal, I will try to raise these but I am sure the number will increase the nest few spawn.
    Minh

nice.... hopefully you'll get some nice snow onyx from that pair

I'm wanting to pair my onyx female with a platinum for some Onyx Picassos.

Tonight my babies are going to be a week old. They are all doing well. Last mortality was one on the second night, otherwise all 56 are still with me. One or two have reach meta and start to swim like an adult fish. I am not convert them to OtoA very well. I only half-heartly add the OtoA the last several day and always with plenty rotifers in the tank. I can't tell if they are eating the dry food yet. Some observation:

1. Rotifer eat day and night. Light is not needed. They clear off the phytoplankton like you would not believe
    2. Most of the mortality for this patch was the first night. Some breeder keep the light on 24 hrs for the first night, after they hatch of course. The eggs would have a difficult time to hatch if it is not in total darkness. I think I will do this next patch. Of course this would likely mean that whatever not hatch the first night likely will not hatch. I will make sure the rotifers density is high that first night.
    3. The fry don't look much different pre and post meta (right after) other than the swimming pattern
    4. Several of my fry are just not good eater. They don't look much larger than newly hatch fry. Other always gorge themselves and are much larger.
    5. Off to Petco today sometime and get a few 5 g tanks. I think this will be the size I use for hatching fry. I am spending a lot at Petco the last few weeks. Their price beat LFS prices hands down.
    6. Got to cut the acrylic today to cover the tanks. It will keep dust out and keep the surface of the water clean

One question to whoever read this and have personal experiences at raising clowns:
    When is it OK to remove the cover on the side of the tank?
    Last edited by OrionN; Sat, 12th Jan 2013 at 07:05 AM.
    Minh

The babies are looking good. More than 50% finish metamorphosis and have the first band. There are some stragglers but on a whole I am happy with the hatch.
    This weekend I am out of town for 2 days. I think I need to arrange for someone to come by to take car of them or else, they will not do well. We will be gone for two days, one night.
    Minh

This is Awesome Minh!
    40 Gallon Breeder on Steroids!!!
    Where You'll Find An Acan, Dendro, and Orange Ricordea Garden In Bloom.

any updates on this one?