UPCOMING: Events

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: H. comes - tigertail seahorses

Can you take some pics of your setup? Glad to see you today, I hope the mushrooms will do well for you.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267

Thank you Justin. Love the aquascaping on your tank. I got everything in the basket glued down to a big rock last night and there were a couple of red ones also. There was also a frag with 3 heads that looks like a green button protopaly. Very pretty and all 3 heads are fully extended.

Here are some pics of my smallest fry system. It consists of a 30 gallon acrylic pentagram growout tank, a 20 gallon round nursery tub and a 29 gallon sump. I have two other fry systems. One has a 35 gallon acrylic cube, 2-20 gallon tubs and a 29 gallon sump. The third system has a 55 gallon growout tank, one 20 gallon nursery, a 20 gallon acrylic frag tank and a 46 gallon sump. If things go well I will add a 2nd frag tank into this system. Right now they each have a skimmer, UV, lots of rock in the sumps, K1 media reactors, macro, 100 micron filter socks, sponge filters, oxydators, LED lights (blue at night and blue & white for daytime) and are dosed daily with probiotics. There is a ball valve on the returns to the nurseries so that I can adjust the flow based on the age of the fry. The outer sleeve in the nurseries are covered with 670 micron mesh for newborns and ultimately window screen is used on the sleeves once the fry are large enough.

Here are some pics of the smallest system. The other two are too large to really photograph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by leliataylor; Thu, 24th Sep 2015 at 03:44 PM.
    Cheryl

I am so thrilled. My comes fry that range from 35-40 days old are already taking frozen food and growing like little weeds. During my first attempt to raise this species it took me almost a year to convert them to frozen. They grow so much faster once they begin taking frozen mysis.
    Cheryl

Some of the kids and yes they do stay yellow at this age. If you look closely they are just now starting to get their chocolate tiger stripes. Once they get to the juvenile stage the males will darken and the females will stay yellow or cream colored. As adults both sexes will turn yellow or gold as they court.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheryl

I have decided to do a experiment. In the past I have always worried about nitrites, ciliates, hydroids, etc. in my nursery systems. After reading everything I can find on the subject of the impacts of nitrates, Ca, Mg, dkH, etc. on larval fish there is very little long term information. I have decided to set up a seahorse nursery utilizing similar water parameters that are more ideal for SPS propagation. Nobody seems to have a clear handle of of their optimal environment, other than they need massive amounts of copepods and a pest free environment. Imagine setting up a nursery system that is free of nitrates, with a stable dkH, Mg and Ca. A environment that is full of pods and is pest free, similar to what is currently being done in coral propagation. Wish me luck, I am already working on the experiment. Any suggestions, input, criticism, etc. would be greatly appreciated. PS I think I need some pest free Cheato. Please keep om mind H. comes (tiger tail seahorses) are a reef dwelling species.
    Last edited by leliataylor; Thu, 21st Apr 2016 at 07:21 PM.
    Cheryl

It should be a nice little experiment. Keeping the nutrients at a low level may impact the size of the population of pods you have. They will need some kind of food source and I have noticed that my sumps tend to keep quite a bit of detritus that the pods and other fauna feed on. Looking forward to hearing more about the progress of this tank.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267

That will be an interesting experiment. I would love to see how it turns out. It will be interesting to see how their growth rate compares to the ones raised in the "traditional" manner. Are you going to vodka dose the fry tank?

Justin, I know I need to keep plenty of food available for the pods and plan to set up a phyto drip system to provide them with additional food. I know the phyto will drive my skimmers nuts, however the vodka dosing is already doing that. All my nursery systems have a larger tank plumbed into the same sump and they tend grow a lot of pods. What I want to achieve is more pristine water conditions with a abundance of food for the fry. The biggest hurdle comes with the filter socks I use, pods will get flushed into the socks and get trapped. I have been experimenting with some other systems without filter socks and have amphipods and copepods everywhere. One option would be to set up a pod/fry system without filter socks and utilize a different system with filter socks once the fry are larger to collect the uneaten BBS.

David, I have been experimenting with vodka dosing on one of my fry systems and it definitely is staying cleaner. The the most noticeable difference I am observing is in the seahorses. They are consuming larger amounts of food, their activity level has increased and some of the fry are rapidly looking like juveniles. I hope to improve the survival of neonatal fry with the pod/fry nursery system by improving water quality and providing a abundance of suitable sized prey.
    Cheryl