UPCOMING: Events

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Trying something new...non coral experience :P

I wanted to take a moment to post an update on our Papua New Guinea (PNG) clownfish collection of wild caught broodstock.

We have been very blessed to acquire a great collection of PNG broodstock over the last year and are very thankful for the friendships, support and favor we have received from a couple industry leading businesses.

We have been told that this collection represents the single largest USA gene pool of true wild caught (FO) PNG adult maroon clownfish pairings. We have a total of 9 wild caughts making up 4 true PNG FO large show size broodstock pairings. We also have 1 smaller pair that is made up of a PNG FO female and a beautiful S&R PNG F1 Morse Code male.

It's taken some time but the fish have finally made their selections. Really, we did not put a lot of effort into forcing the pairings and instead simply swapped males around until the females were happy. It was definitely a bit of a juggling act.

Once these pairs start producing offspring, this gene pool of wild caught PNG fish will represent a large contribution to broadening the pairing options for F1 lightning maroon owners. This gene pool will also offer other PNG owners looking for non sibling related pairing options for their PNG maroon white stripe clownfish to include Sea and Reef PNG F1 Morse Codes and other PNG offspring....the obvious one being F1 lightning maroons and other siblings without the lightning pattern.

We have wild caught morse code, white caps, horned, normal white stripes and unique white stripes with horizontal extended lines coming out of the vertical bars...ALL wild caught PNG.

The following are the final results of pairing these beautiful clownfish:

PNG White Stripe Maroon FO (F) X PNG Unique White Stripe Maroon FO (M):

PNG White Stripe Morse Code Maroon FO (F) X PNG White Stripe Maroon FO (M):

-Rob

PNG White Cap Maroon FO (F) X PNG White Stripe Maroon FO (M):

I'm really liking this pair the most and I think it has the most potential for picasso type patterns which could potentially lead to lightning patterns. ...who knows. Beautiful clownfish.

PNG Unique White Stripe Maroon FO (F) X PNG Horned White Stripe Maroon FO (M):

Here is the horned male PNG, I especially like this dude, between his horned head and flag pattern on his tail, he really is a special fish. Wild caught too

PNG White Stripe Maroon FO (F) X S&R PNG Morse Code White Stripe Maroon F1 (M):

Another great PNG pair with what I feel is one of the best sea and reef morse codes I have found yet. Pretty much a perfect clownfish.

The female PNG wild caught:

The male morse code captive bred first generation F1:

Hello Rob. Any updates on your Maroons??

Default Re: Trying something new...non coral experience :P

Oh yes...thanks for Asking Dean.

I took a bit of a breeding break a few months ago and downsized my broodstock to prepare for a move but I'm back up and running.

Here's a shot of my wild caught PNG Morse Code white stripe female that just came out of quarantine from a recent brook break out. She is looking much better and still has some dorsal fin damage but it's healing. I paired her up with one of Sea and Reef's PNG Lightning Maroon offspring

The 2 bonded in no time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Trying something new...non coral experience :P

Here's a pic when she had brook a few months ago. I thought I was going to lose her. Was nerve racking, not only was she up for sale but she's an irreplaceable fish. The whole reason I was selling her was because I did not want to risk losing her to my negligence of a move...and she got sick anyways. Ugh.

Needless to say, she is no longer for sale.

Wow man I am glad you were able to pull her through that. From what I have read, that is not an easy task as the disease kills very rapidly. Just another testament to your expertise.

So you haven't had any maroon clutches yet?

Thanks Dean. I did some aggressive formalin dips. I had 4 PNG wild caughts catch it. Odd because they were quarantined prior to introducing them. The good news is I keep my broodstock systems separate to control surprises such as this. I also didn't lose the other 3

The morse code female had it the worst and I could not follow through on selling her and one other fish. The other 2 fish that had it were sold but delayed while I communicated the issue with the buyer who was eager to wait it out. Positive end for all of the fish which really is a tough disease to get through just like you mentioned.

And..... yes. I have maroon babies... Once I know what I'm looking at I will share, could be a new fish...and maybe not.