UPCOMING: Events

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 150 Build

Sorry been crazy busy with work and didn't see your message. Do you think I should not have check valves on the loc lines? I know they could fail, however I also plumbed one on my return line, figured it would be better to double just in case of any failure. My fear is the top has two loc line holes one half way down on the tank, would the siphon stop after the upper return gets air? I just finished plumbing and its easy enough to remove the check valves from the top, but removing the one below will cause me to cut my plumbing. I know the adage is to make sure you sump can handle if the return pump fails or electricity goes off, but I was working with a sump that I already had. I have enough room to get a larger one, which I might when I get some more funds, but currently saving for a light and skimmer, as I have my rock and sand/salt so just needed to get this plumbing done and tested.

Here is my plumbing job. I did a manifold as I was thinking for future growth, the only thing I'm going to change is probably cut the t line on the right above the return and use a 90 to push back/down the manifold so I have a little more room for my skimmer top when I get it. I have about 4" to go back and then it would allow me to strap the manifold line to the wall.

What do ya think? I just need to hook up my apex and get some power and water in it, but going to wait a day or so for everything to cure.

IMG_20200505_225517.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GoneReefing; Tue, 5th May 2020 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

150g (Just starting - Build thread)

My attempt at aquascaping. Should have wore gloves, lol. My finger tips. Sand and water tomorrow
    IMG_20200508_181756.jpg
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

The most boring part of a new tank, watching it cycle, lol. Dosing MicroBater7 since I started with a bunch of dry rock. This is my stock list, in order that I plan to stock slowly of course. Any recommendations on different fish or combination?

• Bangai cardinals - 3x
    • Black Axil Chromis - 6x
    • Purple dottyback - 1x
    • Pink spot goby - 1x
    • Fox face - 1x
    • Six line wrasse -1x
    • Some pair of triggers, maybe Blue Throat Triggerfish? - 2x
    • White tail bristle tooth tang or powder blue tang - 1x
    • Yellow tang - 1x
    • Clown fish- 2x
    • Manderin Goby - 1x
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

Looks like your coming along nicely. I have been away longer than I ever been from the site sorry I missed your updates. Too many horror stories on check valves over the years.

Cycle is coming along nicely. Just waiting on nitrate to come down. Been looking at what lights I should throw on this tank. As for the check valve, I understand the risk. I'm planning to get a larger sump for sure and maybe a UPS for power back up, until then I have a WYE check valve on the bottom of the return along with the loc line ones. It has the ability to clean out the valve easily and will add it on my cleaning schedule.
    As for lights any body have any recommendations? The tank is 48 L x 24 W x 30 T. Leaning towards ecotech g5, just can decide on blue or pro. Plus it looks like there are waiting lists everywhere for them. Any other light recommendations. I have an LED on my 20 that I built like 6 years ago going strong but it has a canopy where this one is an open top so I prefer to have a build that looks clean.
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

Got a pair of the ecotech g5s. These things are pretty sweet. Nice color and mobius is not bad, kinda wish they would do apex support but its pretty much set and forget for the lights anyway. I have moved some zoathids and a orange digi over from my 20gallon. I don't know the par levels but the light and the overrall spectrum is really nice. The moon lights are a nice addition as well.

Picked up some chromis, bangai cardinals and a yellow watchman. They all seem to be ok with their home, everyone is eating pretty good. However did have a chromis casualty. Not sure if it was picked on as it did look like it had some damage on his tail when I scooped him out.

Also picked up a S-200 skimmer and so far its breaking in. My family wants some bigger fish but I'm just going to relax and monitor over this next month before adding anything else.

Covid sucks, but its allowing me to save more money for these goodies at least. Stay safe everyone!
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef