UPCOMING: Events

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 150 Build

Default New 150 Build

Hello fellow Maasters,

Its been a long time since I have been on this site, but I'm finally starting to set this bad boy up. I picked this up off craigslist a few years ago and I'm finally getting the itch to get this up and running.

I'd figure I'll post my progress on it as I get it going. I'm going to start working to get it plumbed and rock/sand added soon. I have some questions that maybe some of you guys can help me out with. It's been a long time since I plumbed a tank. I have a 20 gallon reef already but this will be my largest tank I have done.

Here is the tank on the stand
    IMG_20200413_181242.jpg

I have no idea how to plumb this return, the previous owner had this on it, however I see that these devices are no longer made and I don't want to put old parts in, I'd figure I'm going to order new bulkheads and new returns. How would you guys recommend to plumb this? It has 2 1.75 inch holes on the bottom of the tank, one for drain, one for return. I'd like to order schedule 80 bulkheads, and want to do unions for all the pipes below as I don't want to have to cut if I need to re-plumb for a bigger sump. Have plenty of room for a larger one. Currently have a Fiji-30 (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fiji-...fiji-cube.html).

Looking for help to order the proper size bulkheads, but more importantly the return, seeing that it was one output to the return, but then they had a scwd with 2 little return outputs into the main display (see pics)
    IMG_20200413_181415.jpgIMG_20200413_181427.jpg
    Last edited by GoneReefing; Wed, 15th Apr 2020 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Fixed return hole size
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

150g (Just starting - Build thread)

My current equipment list that I researched so far and plan to order:
    -Cor-20 Return pump (2000 GPH)
    -Apex Controller with WAV Pump (2 pack)
    -Radion XR15 G5 Pro/Blue (Not sure which one, but will need 2 fixtures)

Still need to research a skimmer, heater, and other misc equipment, but I'd figure I can get this thing plumbed and filled. Plan on using dry rock to start.
    Last edited by GoneReefing; Mon, 13th Apr 2020 at 07:18 PM.
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

Welcome back! The one 1 1/2" makes an easy drain to your sump. The return bulk head you could use reducing bushings to get it down to 1"? If you are not sure buy schedule 40 locally and it works then buy the expensive schedule 80

Thanks alton!

Great idea on the sch 40. I'd figure i need to get it down to that size plus I have to split it to the two lock-line outputs. I'm super excited to get this thing filled will some water. For the bulk heads themselves, on bulk reef supply it says to get 1/2" sch 80 for a 1.5" hole size. Is that correct? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instr...rrect-bulkhead. Also I see there is slip/thread and thread/thread. I figure that is just a preference to have both sides threaded? I guess depending if you have the room to screw in your drain/return pipes or just slip them in. Its kinda tight back there so I'm opting for the slip style.
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

If 1 1/2" bulkhead only handles 1/2"? That will not work for a return. Check with Aqueon Reef Ready Kits. It might work with a 1 1/2" hole and the drain is 1" or 1 1/4". I used 2 on my Planet tank and it is very quiet.

Both holes on the bottom of the tank are actually 1.75" (just re-measured), so I didn't know what size to order. The tank had bulkheads and a durso pipe with it, that I could technically use, but I'd figure to just buy new so I don't have to worry about any future replacement. So based off that link, it says I could get 3/4" bulkhead sch80 for each hole (drain/return), but can go up to a 1" if I stick with ABS. I mean ABS is just durable right, I have it on my 20 reef and had no problems? I just basically don't want to have to mess with it after its filled. I was just reading sch80 having thicker walls and stronger plastic.

Size Max Hole Size Min Hole Size

3/4" Sch 80. Bulkhead 59mm/2.32" 41mm/1.61"

1" ABS Bulkhead 68mm/2.67" 42mm/1.65"
    Last edited by GoneReefing; Wed, 15th Apr 2020 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added sizes from bulkreef
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

I have decided to go with the 1" ABS bulk heads, but just noticed that the sump return hole is 3/4". The COR-20 that I'm ordering supports 3/4" and up to 1 1/4". So now begs the question, should I drill the sump to place another 1" bulk and just run the pump on the outside (i.e go from 1 1/4 to 1" return using a reducer)? Or just use 3/4" from the return out the sump, then transition to 1" to the bulkhead? I understand going with a larger return is more optimal. I also was looking at doing a herbie or bean animal drain instead of the durso, however that would require me to drill another hole or two. I forgot to mention this tank is acrylic and the with the blue wall you see there is another 5" behind serving as an overflow so there is enough room to drill more holes.

I'm in no rush to get this done as I'd like to get it done with the most optimal setup for what I have. Would would you guys do? I kinda like the idea of the emergency overflow/herbie/bean animal, but with the current overflow built in, not sure how something can get clog in the main, but that's why they call it an emergency

I could maybe just make the hole on the top of the sump larger from the 3/4" it is now to 1" and keep the pump inside the sump or drilling to keep the pump external from the sump so I can just run 1" PVC up to the bulkhead, then use the reducers when it gets above to the lock line,what do you all think?

Here is a pic of the back.
    MVIMG_20200415_205141.jpg
    Last edited by GoneReefing; Wed, 15th Apr 2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

When I had to redrill a hole because of the wrong size in acrylic I used a board to steady the pilot bit so the hole saw would not jump around. Just take it slow.

I got all my plumbing parts today but realized I ordered 3/4 loc line, when I needed 1/2 :(.

As for the drilling, I have decided against it. I have picked up a heavy duty check valve on the return and will order check valves for the loc line too since I got the wrong size. I will increase the sump return size to 1" as that is a simple to increase/drill. I'd hate to break anything on the main after ordering all this stuff. So I'm just going to stick with the durso overflow.
    Taylor

20g long Mixed reef

Why you place check valve on the Locline too?
    Reefing is just like cooking, all the ingredients have to be just right , except you don't have to bring the water to a BOIL...