UPCOMING: Events

Thread: Start a cycle

Default Start a cycle

Whatís the best way to start a cycle on a new setup?
    Throw one of those big shrimps at the heb in the tank?
    happy reefing
    Lets ride

Your dead / live rock should start a cycle?

I have no dead live rock. Everything is gone. This is a fresh setup completely sterile and the all sand and rock have never been in a Reef tank. I should be at 100 lbs of dry rock by the end of the month. Once I get to 200 lbs I start making the tank do cycles. So looking for ideas to start a cycle when ready .
    happy reefing
    Lets ride

dead food should although boring. I commend you, there is no way I could start a tank over with white rock and wait months for it to come alive. FYI if you want to add a fish or two I use Fritz turbo 900 on my Qt tank and it works perfectly. Have you thought about getting some pieces of LR and adding them to jump start your coraline algae?

Not interested in adding any live rock yet ... The goal is reaching the 200lbs. And I’m enjoying the dry rock and tank without any fish or corals. Finances are tight so doing the best I can. Just happy having the saltwater tank running . I don’t have skimmer either so I’m not interested in adding any fish yet ...
    Last edited by BBQHILLBILLY; Mon, 15th Jul 2019 at 04:59 PM.
    happy reefing
    Lets ride

You are doing it right by going slow. I personally don't have your patience.

Updated pics Thanks Alton. I made some deals and got some money for more rocks today. Picked them up from Saltys and Iím happy
    Next step is start the cycling and letís make this tank cycle.
    happy reefing
    Lets ride