UPCOMING: Events

Thread: Altons 180 Down Size

Default Altons 180 Down Size

Well normally when someone talks about setting up a new tank, upgrading to a larger tank it is joy full and full filling. When I went from a 55 to a 135 it was, when I went to a 200 it was, and even going up to my 300DD it was awesome. But this time going smaller to a 180 nothing went well. From the tank coming and not the stand to when the stand came in with a gash in the side of it to one of the doors coming off to my pump being too powerful so I had to redo my plumbing and then going to a smaller pump. And the stupid Idea of moving my 300 out the same weekend as setting up the new one, while having to BBQ for my nephews shower. I guess I deserve all the headaches I gave myself, and lost sleep. But like any die hard aquarist here I am with a new 180 gallon Planet Aquarium and stand, new wet dry and DC pump that is very simple, using much less energy. Old tank was lit by 3 x 250w MH, two 100w Leds, and a 160w VHO. New lighting consists of 4 x 1oow Leds running around 80% drawing 300watts or less, one DC pumps 80 watts but running around 50%, and a 5 watt Tunze . I used the same urchin pro skimmer that I have since 2004 with a Rio 2100 @ 40 watts. I went from 1,370 watts to 400 watts. It should be interesting what my electrical bill looks like this summer?
    And then the voodoo continued with my pumps, since my 50pxx was too powerful, I switched to my 40px which was not enough but when my Vectra M1 came in from Louis I was in hog heaven or so I thought. I switched my pumps out on a Saturday. I had to rework the plumbing, got it all done, plugged in the pump and it blinked red and white with no green in sight. I tried everything from restart to hard restart and no change. Called Ecotech and got the out of office message. I called Louis and he walked me through a bunch of stuff and nothing so waiting on a replacement! Since I redid my plumbing I wasn’t going to redo again just to re add my 40px so for the weekend I ran a Rio 2500 temporarily. On another note my lights look good from BML.
    So the bad mojo continues.
    Day 7 Monday, a week after initial setup, I don’t know if it is because of no more Imperator being king or smaller tank? But my Large Regal Angel now chases my smaller one way too much and it will not last. So I may have to remove a fish I have enjoyed since 2012 which hurts. I picked up some extra parts to run my 40PX today so I can remove the 2500 Rio and temporary plumbing. Ecotech called back, but Louis had already ordered a new controller board.
    Wednesday my new controller which is to fix my Vectra M1 pump came in and we are good to go.
    Saturday added a bio pellet reactor, which I am trying to figure why more pellets float than tumble but oh well. The Flame angels are mating again, the Regals are still not the greatest but the smaller one is getting faster and takes food from the larger one so I am hoping they will finally pair after two years.
    Some may ask why the old technology with a wet dry and bio balls? Since I started in 1991 with bio bail and then moved up to bio balls I have never had a crash. Today I don’t use them for bio load since I have plenty of live rock but adding oxygen to the aquarium. And as far as “Nitrate Factory” My 200 which was setup for 10 years when taken down they averaged 2 to 5ppm with very little maintenance. So back to simple and since most aquarist that have low nitrates use bio pellets or dose vodka anyway, the bio pellet reactor was easy and runs off my M1 anyway. And I am dripping Kalk using a homemade acrylic container.

Wow man this looks incredible!

Looks great Alton but it looks like you have room for more corals lol

Blog Entries

Man, you really kept it nice and clean. I'm sure you didn't mind losing all of those Ca sucking caps behind! You're angels were probably nipping because of the new "territories" that needed to be established. Still, must be nice to have a smaller more manageable tank.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Man, you really kept it nice and clean. I'm sure you didn't mind losing all of those Ca sucking caps behind! You're angels were probably nipping because of the new "territories" that needed to be established. Still, must be nice to have a smaller more manageable tank.
    It is a lot quicker to clean and very nice being able to reach every part of the tank. Although we are having fun with the Kalk Dripping process and the Bio Pellet Reactor. The Vectra M1 has been the best addition, with adding the reactor I can adjust the M1 up to run the tank return and reactor. It is great having the ability to perfect your return GPH. And although my lovely wife is not happy with the money I spent, she is happy with a smaller tank and the large MH pendants gone for a cleaner look with just LED's.
    Last edited by alton; Thu, 7th Apr 2016 at 06:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Although I don't have the Vectra, I run a manifold with my SICCE 4.0. The thin is extremely powerful and while its dialed down to like 1/4 of its full power, it powers the following lines:

BRS Dual Reactor
    UV Sterilizers
    Ca Reactor
    and a secondary flow line for my refugium

I also have another port just in case I need it for like water changes or something

I love having a manifold and only using one pump to run everything. Granted if my pump dies, I lose everything but I have a backup just in case that happens. Not to mention my Apex would tell me if something was off as well.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267

An update of my forgotten tank since my disaster. I wish I had more time to take care of it but with the mix of corals it more or less takes care of itself. My fish are fed very well, 60 gallon water changes hopefully every month.(Sorry for the glass not being perfectly clean).

Looking good Alton!! Looks like you need more stick in that bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reefnub View Post
    Looking good Alton!! Looks like you need more stick in that bad boy.
    I am too cheap, plus the wife just added a pool to our home so funds are now going to her new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    I am too cheap, plus the wife just added a pool to our home so funds are now going to her new toy!
    That's awesome! You can put a lot of fish and sticks in a pool!!! Lol