UPCOMING: Events

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: New House...New Tank!

Blog Entries

So today is a good day and yesterday was a nightmare.

First off, I have been slowly seeing my Alk become steady with the following readings:

1/7/18 : 7.9 dkh
    1/8/18 : 7.62 dkh
    1/9/18 : 7.73 dkh
    1/10/18: 7.73 dkh

And finally today my DKH was measuring at 7.56 dkh, looks like my corals are back to being happy and absorbing Alk again. Now to keep it that way and keep it steady. To get at this dkh, I set my apex to tune my Calcium reactor pH to 7.49. I think I will keep it here and stop tinkering with the pH. Lol, only time will tell.

So yesterday was a nightmare. I do not have the best of luck when updating my apex units and the process is a bit tedious and nerve racking. The last time I had to do this I somehow corrupted my EB8 power block and my system was out of commission for about a week while I was waiting for Apex to return my unit back to me. The worst part was that I had to go on vacation for a week during this time and my friend, who is not reef savvy, was nervous as hell to take care of the tank while the apex was out. Poor guy had to check manual timers and what not while I was talking to him over the phone and walking through the process with him.

So back to my story, I decided for some reason to try and upgrade my Apex units on a day that I had a client meeting at 130 in the day. It was roughly 10 am when I was bored and decided to attempt this feat. I first tried the software update on my frag tank which utilizes an Apex Jr. This went relatively smoothly and I thought upgrading my main system would be just as easy.....I was wrong!

As soon as I tried to do the update, my Apex system went into bootload mode, for those that do not know what this means; the whole system goes according to what you program you fallback statement to be. This meant that my WXM, which cannot have a fallback mode, shutdown which consequently shutdown my MP40's. My lights went out and for my original Rapidled Onyx lights that run off of cables, this was expected. My new lights are wireless but the power cords are plugged into an apex outlet to be programmed on off when the lights get too hot or if there is an issue, ie a fallback mode. So the following hit my tank for about an hr while I tried to get my system out of bootloader mode on a failed update launch.

My lights were out
    WXM out and consequently MP40's
    Heaters were out but I wasn't too worried about these
    My Calcium reactor was out
    skimmer out

Overall, not too much to worry about but it still is cause for concern. Considering I had no errors or issues with my frag tank. After re-attempting to load the update firmware 3x, I was able to get a good update and my apex cycled through the new programming and was able to turn back on. For about an hr, I was sweating bricks and worried I may have corrupted my system again!

The good news, I heard the new Apex system updates itself and based on my little misadventure, worth the heft price on the system. I will eventually upgrade to the new system for my main tank to be able to capitalize on the Trident module when it comes out.

Now that I have my system updated, I know can use my FMM module. I need to do a little research on setting up the module and getting the most out of my prize from Neptune last year!
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267

Blog Entries

Looking at my system, I am still perplexed on my slow growth rates on this tank versus the growth rate on my previous tank. Aside from a few new things, nothing has really changed with the exception of the following:

I was running Kent Marine Salt instead of the Instant Ocean I'm running now
    I did water changes roughly every month
    I am running a Calcium reactor now
    My macro algae use is much higher now

With the Calcium reactor, I dont feel the need to do more water changes or at least montly ones but I might go back to Kent once I run out of my current instant ocean

I have been looking at perhaps I'm missing some trace elements or something in my water column. Based on my ICP test, my Iodine levels are a little low at .02, when some other natural reefs are at .05. Not too much of a difference but maybe enough of a change. I have read that NO3 is needed as well as some PO4 for coral growth. I might go back to dosing a bit of NO3 in my tank and measure the results for a month. If nothing changes, then I will stop my NO3 dosing and try my Iodine levels and test for a month.

I think this month I will start with Iodine first and test with 2 drops of Lugols per week and pair it with some ICP testing to verify my Iodine levels and see if I am getting any absorption from my corals. If I notice it, then hopefully that was the missing piece.

Its annoying but the detective work is kind of interesting to me
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you’ll never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you’ll always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267