UPCOMING: Events

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: New House...New Tank!

Blog Entries

Man time sure flies. Its been quite awhile since I've done any updating. I have pretty much been putting a lot of my notes in the Apex Fusion tool to keep track of changes and what not to my tank.

Here are some notes that I have been taking:

Notes Capture in Apex.JPG

Some of the things that I have been doing on the tank have been installing some equipment that I have been dragging my butt on.

Installing a Skimmate locker to reduce the frequency of me having to empty the skimmer cup
    https://imgur.com/4Y6w8qc

I took down my (2) Nextreef reactors and replumbed my BRS Dual reactor for just carbon and pillow stuffing. Since I use the outflow of the reactors for flow in my Macro Fuge, I had to redo the tubing so that it can flow back into the Macro Fuge. The only problem is that it was to flow from one side to the other side of the tank and back to the other side again to go back into my fuge. It's a nightmare but that's how I have the reactor installed to save space.

With one of the reactors, I converted it into a 2nd chamber for my Calcium Reactor to help with the excess CO2

Lastly, I got a sweet deal on a beautiful Sherman for my poor Onyx clowns that exist in my fuge. If you recall, I kept my clowns in the sump because they were getting stung by my now deceased Green Torch (I'll talk about it later). To help make this space more of a home instead of a punishment, I have been on the market for a nem to put with them.

I love anemones in reef tanks but I HATE how they move in a tank and cause issues with stinging and possibly getting shredded by a power head. To skirt this, I decided to put the nem in my fuge with my clowns. Here it is in all its glory

-Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

1) If you do not GO after what you want, you値l never have it.
    2) If you do not ASK, the answer will always be NO
    3) If you do not step forward, you値l always be in the same place

100 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...-Breeder-world
    135 Gallon Write up
    http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?...267#post978267

Blog Entries

So I mentioned the issue earlier, which I seem to have issues with for some time now, is with my Alk fluctuating. I love using a calcium reactor for its ease of use and the ability to add exactly what the corals need in the form of Alk, Calcium and trace elements for building their skeletons. The issue I have been having is trying to get my Calcium reactor dialed in with the demands of my tank. After a point, I just sort of gave up on my reactor when I discovered that my pH probe was busted and that my tank was experiencing some moments of high alk and then low alk levels. No bueno for anyone with SPS frags or even some LPS. Due to the fluctuations, I lost my prize Neon Green Torch colony. This loss really hit me hard as I had taken care of that colony since it was a single head and I accidentally cracked it while trying to move it from its frag plug.

After talking with a buddy of mine, Awais, about my issues and how he is running his reactor. He directed me toward the following thread that talks about using a medical grade peristaltic pump to handle the drawing of reactor effluent into my tank.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2368618

I had mentioned in earlier posts that my effluent line would frequently get clogged or the rate would be inconsistent, which would add to my issues with my tank. Awais was kind enough to let me borrow a spare pump to try on my system and let me tell you....I am sold on them. This thing is beautiful and super easy to program and leave it alone to do its thing. To plumb it, I had to take my reactor feed line off of my manifold and put the line into my fuge and set the pump to pull water from my fuge into my reactor and then back into my tank again. This is thing works flawlessly and I have been able to set my flow rate and walk away. The only issue I had so far is that I failed to realize that the feed entry point was open and my brand new sherman let itself get sucked in. Once I saw this, I freaked out and immediately created a strainer, which you can see in my previous post, to prevent the nem from doing it again. With that said, here are some pics:

The Master Flex pump

A shot of the tubing that enters the pump and then exits back toward my tank

The blue line is my ATO line, which lives in the space behind my tank in what would have been a master closet but is now a storage area in my house

And once again my GEO Reactor

I am still working on dialing my reactor down but I am getting pretty close to getting it set. With this Master Flex pump, it is so much easier to dial in my effluent rate. I had mine originally set for the following:

Reactor pH: 6.5
    Effluent: 50ml/ min

This proved to be too much and I have since had it dialed in over the past couple of days to the following:
    reactor pH: 6.8
    Effluent: 70ml/ min

I have been monitoring my Alk over the course of the week and after the initial spike after seeing I set the parameters too low, which spiked my alk up to 10dkh. It has since slowly been coming down to now 9.18dkh. I am working to let the Alk slowly dip back down to 8.5 dkh, at which time I should be completely dialed in to my tank's needs. Its was bumpy at first but not things are getting pretty smooth. I'm finally starting to see growth on corals that I didn't normally see it on and whole new frags growing from where some of my colonies had encrusted and I since moved to another spot and now I have the coral growing in two places:

New fire coral frags growing

Bottom left of my Tri Color Valida colony. The color is still off but its growing again!

an Unknown but beautiful acro I have

same acro with new bud growth everywhere

And its fairly a new frag but this Echinata is showing new growth "nubs"
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

100 Gallon Write up
    135 Gallon Write up

Blog Entries

So since my tank is finally starting to come around. I was bullish and pulled the trigger on some nice frags from Pieces of the Ocean. One of my fav pieces is a Peach Spathulata. Which is one of my favorite types of SPS along with Suharsonoi's that I don't have in my tank. I had a few pieces years ago but lost them in a move. Now I'm starting my collection up again:
    Unbagging

Pink Tip Acro

Bad pic
    Blue Jade

Peach Spathulata

I saw took a quick video of my flow and polyp movement of my Pink Tip
    https://youtu.be/szKyftvHf3M

I have read that the flow in a tank should be just strong enough to slightly move your sand. I quickly discovered that I was getting a bald spot in a particular spot. To avoid constantly moving the sand back, I placed some 3" frag disc in the spot and move the sand around the discs. This seems to help with the spot. I certainly don't want to adjust my flow or the rock work so this work around is perfect

Last edited by Justin; Fri, 2nd Mar 2018 at 11:50 AM.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

100 Gallon Write up
    135 Gallon Write up

Blog Entries

I was looking at my photos taken from my Samsung and I have come to the realization that I need to start using my DSLR to get at least some decently focused pics for this thread.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

100 Gallon Write up
    135 Gallon Write up

Blog Entries

Preparation can save you so much heartache!!!!

Last night as I working on building some outdoor furniture, I came in to get some water and chill in front of the tank when I noticed that my Return pump kept power cycling back and forth. If this was my first time, I would have been super worried and panicking but since this is now my 2nd situation, I was mentally prepared.

As an FYI, i currently was running a SICCE 4.0 pump since the start of this tank. I had a 4.0 on my previous tank where this situation happened. Fortunately for me, I am a bit of a pack rat with reef gear and I had several Rio pump leftover, specifically 1700 and a 2100 pump. Hearing the pump cycle several times and my apex blowing my cell phone up with several alert text messages, I swapped out my returns and reorganized my wiring to make it easier to do maintenance. Sicce pumps come with like 8 ft of power cable, which is a hassle to deal with when you have so many other cables and run them into an electric cabinet.

I thought something was fishy when my FMM module would show my flow rate drop from 700 to 400 over the course of a month and half. Thinking nothing of it, I just chocked it up to random fluid dynamics. After installing my Rio pump, I have noticed that my flow has been fairly steady sitting from 530 to 525! Installing this FMM has really let me see the performance of my pump and consequently my system.

Since so much is hooked up or programmed to my return being on, I took a quick second to verify that I had redundancy within my tank for such an incident. Currently I have the following items tied in with my Return Pump:

Calcium reactor recirc pump
    Carbon reactor which also provides flow in my macro fuge for my Sherman Anemone ( This guy needs more flow so I hooked up a small Powerhead and tied it in with my return plug)
    Skimmer

If I lose my Return, I have the following backups to keep life going in the main tank:

(2) MP 40's for flow
    Spare Heater in the Overflow section of the tank

The only things I would lose would be everything in my macro fuge, sherman and in my cryptic zone. If the power was out for too long and these environments were to start dying it would pose a problem for my tank when the return picked back up. Fortunately, I have a backup generator still in its original packaging for power and some battery bubblers for some flow and oxygen. The beauty of these environment is that they like little to no flow so using the bubblers would be the perfect amount of flow for them.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

100 Gallon Write up
    135 Gallon Write up

You bring up a great issue of keeping spare pumps and heaters just in case. I keep a Pan World pump with the same fittings as my Ecotech M1 so if there is a failure it is a quick swap on my 180. I also keep a spare Rio for my office tank.

Blog Entries

Yea redundancy in this hobby is mission critical to say the least! Although I am nowhere near the level of Ty, I plan to get there someday. So far I have the following backups in place:

• Plenty of spare Rio 1700's just in case my 2100 craps out; as well as spare propellers
    • I currently run 2 heaters in my tank, one in the overflow and the other in my macro fuge; with another 2 smaller heaters for just in case
    • I have a spare Gyre 250 I won on an auction in case my MP40's crap out on me.
    • I also have a spare MP40 Wetside and a spare Driver for just in case. Eventually I'll have to find myself a dry side spare as well
    • I Micro bubble scrub in my tank to help boost the efficiency of my skimmer but with the macro algae I have, going without my skimmer and feeding a bit less would not hurt my tank
    • I use both LED and T5's to light my tank. So if my LED's go out, I still have my T5 bulbs and vice versa. I also have a spare 4ft Halide/ T5 combo I could also jury rigged temporarily
    • I also have a large 60 gallon container for my salt water that I try to keep full in addition to a 30 gallon RODI unit that I can quickly process into Salt Water. I will eventually create a 3rd container to help degas CO2 and reduce the need to change out my DI resin so frequently. I will swap out my 40 gallon to hold RO water with an air stone to help degas the CO2 in the water. From there I will pump this water through my resin and into a 55 gallon food grade drum to store my RODI. Basically giving me the ability to store roughly 155 gallons of water!
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

100 Gallon Write up
    135 Gallon Write up

Great thread and so nice you continue to update.

Calcium reactors can do amazing things to a tank . Probably the healthiest I've seen any of my systems was with one, but, they are so tricky and I couldn't get thing right without GFO. GFO is also tricky. Combined was too tricky for me. I did notice the corals seemed to be more solid / less fragile than just using kalkwasser.

Todd
    Killed my first coral in 1991, have tried to do better since. Always tricky.

Blog Entries

It has been quite some time since my last update. Some big changes were that I was gone for about 10 days traveling throughout Peru and visiting a friend that has been teaching English for about a year and half now. The trip was awesome, but my tank sure suffered while I was gone. Now I don't know exactly what happened to my tank but I can only speculate that my nutrients ran pretty low with less than normal feeding, my alk was fluctuating and my lighting was set to support a certain amount of nutrient levels. When those levels were low, the light was too intense and my corals went into shock. Again, I honestly do not know what happened to my tank. All I can say is that since I have been back, i have been keeping an eye on my alk levels and feeding heavily again. I also stopped all forms of automatic dosing which included taking my CO2 tank offline. To keep the media still active, I still use my Masterflex to pull water from my macro fuge through my reactor and back into my system.

I have also set my tank down to a dkh of 7.5. Mainly to match the levels of the tank of Oceanlife Aquariums. Prior to my trip, I won a frag pack from Oceanlife but with the trip coming up I asked to have the frags delivered after I returned from my trip. I also had won some live sale auctions from Fraghouse corals as well and asked for those to be delivered. Must have been providence because I had some bleaches in my tank and now I had some replacements to keep my tank full.

After coming back, I decided to test my alk daily to get a gauge on how well my corals are bouncing back. For the first couple of days after I hit 7.5dkh, I noticed that I needed to dose about 20 to 40 ml of Soda Ash to maintain my levels. The past couple of days, I noticed that my corals seem to be happier and my consumption has slowly climbed to 40 to 60 ml of Soda Ash daily. To maintain this, I decided to use a BRS 1.3ml/ min Doser and set it to dose 20ml from 2200 to 0800 to keep dkh somewhat up. For the difference, I'm going to be dosing that manually for awhile until I can gauge that my consumption has picked up where I need to increase consumption via a Reactor of some kind.

My idea is to go back to basics and keep things super simple with this tank, since I keep having issues with it. During my investigative stage, I found out that my returns were not pushing enough flow, it was more of a trickle and I started thinking that my tank was not getting enough processed water from my macro fuge, skimmer and carbon reactor and this could have added to the issues. So I took down my manifold and had my return shoot water through to my 2 returns with no other hindrances. Now my flow is significantly more and I would like to think that my DT is getting more processed water from my sumps.

I also found that my pH was significantly low staying around 7.8 and as slow as 7.65 at times. Thinking it had something to do with my house being super energy efficient and the number of people that hang out around the tank. I decided to hook my CO2 scrubber back to my Skimmer intake as well as my microbubble scrubber pump. The pH has since raised back up to an average of 8.26 during the day and a 8.0 at night. Much much better. All in all, I'm hoping the tweaks and modification will turn my luck around and get this tank back up and running.
    -Justin

3 Simple Rules in Life

100 Gallon Write up
    135 Gallon Write up

My wife is from Peru. It's been quite awhile since I've been there. I sure hope you had a decent food guide while you were visiting; Peru has amazing food with a lot of variety. While we lived in South Florida I took for granted being able to eat it whenever I wanted - I'd kill for a good Peruvian restaurant in San Antonio. Luckily my wife cooks quite a few dishes she learned from her mom.

Sorry to hear about your tank. Every time I go out of town I dread what I'm walking back to. I've been lucky.

I started using a scrubber not to long ago myself feeding it from the skimmer cup. Similar to yours I saw an increase from 7.9 to 8.1 and things took off in the tank. I'm also lowering my dkh to stay around 7.9 whereas before I was trying to maintain 8.5. My tank seems to like being at that lower number. Heck, Adam from BattleCorals runs his tanks even lower. I'm not sure why people push theirs to 10 or 11.

Good luck with getting things back in shape.