UPCOMING: Events

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very strange fish

Default Very strange fish

We welcomed a new addition to our family a couple of days ago. It's the strangest fish I've ever seen!

He's a black-headed caique. We haven't named him yet but my vote is for Darwin. My wife has wanted a bird for years and we were very close to getting one when she found out she was pregnant with my son. Thank god, as we're in a way better position to care for a bird now.

Anyway, I wanted to thank the folks at Polly's. I go to the NB location often and always end up getting into "fish nerd" conversations with Steven (which I enjoy). This time however, I got into a "bird nerd" conversation with Mallory. Mallory was super helpful, patient, and extremely knowledgable. Steven is to fish and coral as Mallory is to birds. I can't "sing" her praises enough!

I also wanted to thank Polly's for the great deal on the bird and everything we needed!
    Master Reef Curmudgeon

Cool frag :-)

I've wanted a bird for some time, but I got a dog instead.
    Reefing 210
    Multi-Genera

Speaking of nerds, I am kind of a word nerd, so I just looked up "caique" in my handy dictionary app, as I was curious how to pronounce it and had never heard the word. Merriam Webster says it's a Levantine sailing vessel or light skiff (and it's pronounced "kie-eek" in case any of you other nerds are curious.)

So is that the word you meant to type?

Congrats on the beautiful bird. +1 for Darwin, like the name!
    - Kristy and Mike -

210 g reef tank started 3/15/08; 20 g hex reef tank started 1/3/08, ended 3/30/14

"I must be a mermaid.... I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." - Anais Nin
    "To travel is to take a journey into yourself." - Danny Kaye

lol that is a nice looking bird. what time do they get up in the mornings
    happy reefing
    Lets ride

Allan - we already have a dog. it's a zoo at my house now. Fish, coral, a dog, a bird and basically a monkey (my two year old).

Kristy - I think that's the correct pronunciation. Mallory said she calls them "ky-eeeks" if that makes sense.

Shane - Not sure, my wife is the one that gets up early. Im a night person. I can say that he hasn't woken me up yet. So either I sleep heavy or he's not too loud so far.
    Master Reef Curmudgeon

That's awesome. I just brought home an african grey baby. Its definitely been fun so far. I sent off for its dna test last week so ill find out if its a boy or girl soon. Named it Marley. Love that little turd already!

Oh btw...I shop Pollys here in UC. Love that place. Everyone in there knows me by name and is always super friendly and helpful.

san antonio texas 1604/Sheanfield/ culebra

Nice addition, they are very silly birds he will keep ya entertained ( it's like having a toddler in the house)
    90 gal reef 30 gal sump with refugium
    250 gal reef build/90 gal sump with refugium
    San Antonio, Texas
    1604/Sheanfield/Culebra
    Tiphanie

Quote Originally Posted by bcusack1 View Post
    That's awesome. I just brought home an african grey baby. Its definitely been fun so far. I sent off for its dna test last week so ill find out if its a boy or girl soon. Named it Marley. Love that little turd already!
    Wow, that's awesome! I'd love to have an African Grey but it's a little too intimating right now. Maybe someday we will. You'll have to post some pictures and videos of it! Where'd you get the DNA test done?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Flame View Post
    Nice addition, they are very silly birds he will keep ya entertained ( it's like having a toddler in the house)
    That's what I've read about them. I did research before we bought it and it seemed like a good fit. We have a toddler in the house already, so now we have a pair! the bird's still adjusting to everything but he's been great so far. My son gets really hyper and excited around him and I think that scares him a bit but I think he'll adjust and my son will calm down once it's not so new anymore. I think it really helps that he was hand fed there at Polly's and is used to people. He hasn't tried to bite at all though he does get a little "ruffled" when my son starts acting crazy around him.
    Master Reef Curmudgeon

Awesome bird. Be ready to have it for a very loooooong time though. Some of the parrots live for close to 80yrs. And you will be throwing a sheet over his cage pretty soon if you do not want to be up on Sunday at 5:30 lol. But seriously he is awesome.
    Switched over to the dark side of lighting. LEDs. The force is strong with this one!