UPCOMING: Events

Thread: Quarantine tank(s)

Default Quarantine tank(s)

Is anyone quarantining their livestock before it goes in the display? I have a 12G nano cube in a closet I'm using for corals but when I start getting SPS I'm gonna need to upgrade or just dip and hope for the best.

For fish, I have a 20g long with a HOB filter, heater, powerhead and some PVC fittings. I currently have a tail spot blenny which I'm going to treat with prazipro and cupramine. If there are no issues, he'll stay there for about a month.

Anyone else have a qt method they're using?
    Master Reef Curmudgeon

I do. I qt all fish, no matter what, I don't care where they came from. I've got two custom rimless tanks, roughly 30g each. On one tank I installed baffles to divide the tank into thirds (for smaller fishes), the other is divided in half (for larger fishes). I qt and observe, then deal with any problems that arise. For corals, I have a three stage dipping process. First dip is Bayer insecticide, then rinse with saltwater. Second dip is CoralRX, then rinse with saltwater. Third dip is lugols, rinse again. I then inspect all corals under a lighted magnifier for anything that might have escaped the dipping process. And if I see a nasty come off of a coral during dipping, that coral gets an extra stringent inspection under the magnifier, and put into qt if needed until I'm sure there are no bugs hanging about. One thing I have never quite figured out is how to qt snails and such, or nems.

As far as I am concerned, you cannot be too careful. One slip up and you have a whole lot of grief on your hands.

Anyone who has seen my table at the frag swaps has seen my sign. *Prevent STD's (saltwater transmitted diseases). Dip and quarantine all new purchases, and NEVER add water from someone elses tank to your system.* The sign gets a lot of giggles, but it also gets the point across.
    Support marine aquaculture, and share with your friends! Then you will find out who they really are.

Default Quarantine tank(s)

Awesome setup Sherita! I like the baffle idea for your qt tanks. I may have to do that on mine as well. How long do you qt your fish? Also, do you do any prophylactic treatment? Like I mentioned, I plan on using cupramine and prazipro regardless of any issues but we'll see how that goes. From what I've heard and read, both of those are less stressful for the fish than other treatments. Also, how big are some of the fish you've qt'd? I have two 20g tanks but I'm a little worried using that small of a tank for larger fish that'll be going in my 185g.
    Master Reef Curmudgeon

I qt for a minimum of four weeks. I don't treat for something unless I see a problem (or suspect one). The number one thing I usually wind up dealing with is ich, it just seems to be in every lfs out there. I use either hyposalinity or quinine sulfate, since some tangs, and many angels don't tolerate copper well at all. I failed to mention that each section has a small penguin hob filter and I do water changes daily. For larger fishes I have a couple of old 30g that I can use, and for huge fish I have an old sea clear acrylic 75g. I use large pvc fittings (3" and 4") so the fish have somewhere to hide and feel safe. Since pvc is inert, it's safe to use. I also keep some pool sand on hand, in case I need to qt a sand sleeping wrasse, I just put a tupperware bowl filled with sand in their qt, so they can sleep/hide and not stress. Some folks don't do this, to me it's just cruel to force a sand wrasse into a bare tank and stress it out like that. I feel the same way about trying to keep sand wrasses in bare bottom reefs. Either provide the fish with what it needs, or don't get that fish.

The largest fish I have qt'ed are a 2'+ eel and a 7" lunar wrasse.
    Last edited by Sherita; Fri, 29th Mar 2013 at 07:56 AM.
    Support marine aquaculture, and share with your friends! Then you will find out who they really are.

Blog Entries

It's also good practice to frag off corals that are attached to live rock or at least break the rock down, you would not believe how many crabs and such can make it through dips hiding in rock.

When I get new corals in I dip everything, frag down large rocks unless they are solid, inspect and dip again if needed. Adding H2o2 to my dipping process has helped a lot with micro algae as well as pests that like to hide.

For fish... well I don't mess with wild caught anymore. I try to only purchase aquacultured fish now, seem to have much less problems. Also, aquacultured fish coming from large industry breeders are almost guaranteed to not have real issues like ich...that is until they end up in our systems or stores that don't quarantine. GC REEF is really good about incoming stock and I have always felt comfortable buying fish and coral from them.

I have tried for years to not purchase corals from the wild for the same reasons but I really can't take my eye off scolies and other amazing LPS that aren't good candidates for aquaculture.

When I introduce new fish to my systems (aquaculture only) I like to dose the tank with Marine-Max Water Conditioner (probiotic that helps with disease prevention) and also anytime I do a large water change. I have had great results with this.