Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My SPS colors suck! Help!

Yea, I'm thinking now that my skimmer may be slightly to big for my tank considering my light bio-load. My test kits should be here early next week so we will know more then. Tex, what lighting do you have on your tank? I really love the colors you have and wish mine looked that good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Squiers007 View Post
    Yea, I'm thinking now that my skimmer may be slightly to big for my tank considering my light bio-load. My test kits should be here early next week so we will know more then. Tex, what lighting do you have on your tank? I really love the colors you have and wish mine looked that good!
    It is the 120 watt ecoxotic LED with two white/magenta stunner strips on each side.. very basic and simple but i really like it
    My Reef is Alive and well Despite My repeated Daily attemps to kill it!!

Got my Red Sea Pro Colors test kit in the mail yesterday. Plan on running chems either tonight or tomorrow night and will post the results once finished.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

have fun with that 45 min potassium test, they all take a lil practice to do.
    REEF MAFIA
    "TEFLON DON"

Haha, I'm sure I will. Hopefully it won't take too much practice considering I do water testing everyday at work!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

here is an article i discovered a while back detailing what colors are indicators of deficiency in what trace elements. it should help you out. http://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/g...-vivid-bright/ i have been using sealab no.28 blocks with part one B-ionic, and also been dosing the last bit of reef plus i had in the fridge from years ago, but colors have been perking up, and growth is awesome as well. The purple bonsai i have is actually turning purple, as opposed to neon brown. At the lfs i discovered that they had discontinued the reef line and now were focusing on the aquavitro line, so i picked up some fuel and am waiting to see how that will affect my corals

Blog Entries

I think I'm starting to have this problem too. I don't have many SPS, just a red planet and an efflo, but neither have shown much growth or colors. The red planet has grown just a bit, but I can see the colors have started to recede. I can see new branches forming, but they are solid white. I'm thinking I'm missing some trace elements. Not to say I have been neglecting my tank, but I have been kind of leaving it alone to run it's course while I have been building the 210.

The article linked above leads me to believe I am low on potassium, but I'm not convinced yet. I don't check params often, but when I did 2 weeks ago everything was spot on and nitrates were undetectable. Maybe the tank is too clean as some have mentioned in previous posts?

Tank rundown: 29g, marineland 100 skimmer, 96W T5 with10K/actinic bulbs. Sumped with fuge, emperor 400 in DT and a few powerheads. Not currently dosing any trace elements.
    -You had me at PWM

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't updated in a while. Anyway, got my Red Sea Colors test kits and low and behold, my Iron, Iodine, and Potassium were all low! So, I have decided to switch up my water change schedule(which I was not very strict about) from 20gal ~ once per month, to 5gal every week. I'm hoping this will enable my trace levels to remain higher without the need to dose any extra chemicals. I will probably do this for 1-2 months and try to test at least every 2 weeks to see how the levels are doing. If this does not get the colors to where I would like then I will add in some supplemental dosing. I am also planning on adding at least 1 strip of LED's to my lighting which should increase my PAR values as well. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and wish me luck!