UPCOMING: Events

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Presidential Reef

Cool The Presidential Reef

Hey guys, its been quite a while since I've been on here but I do need quite a bit of help. Since I've last posted I've had several ups and down in my reefing and I want to get it all back on track. Here's my setup10 Gallon AGA2x False Occelaris 3x Hairy Mushrooms (all split from the same one)A couple of hermit crabs20 lbs Live sand Approximately 8lbs of LR.1x Korealia Nano1x Biocube Protein Skimmer1x T5 light, running 2x 24w actinicsMy tank has basically become a graveyard for my corals. It started with the Zoa's first, then the GSP, and then the snails. All due to lack of husbandry on my part due to long hours of work and school picking up. As it stands, I want to make my tank look beautiful again so I need your help. What should I start with first? I'm going to be doing a water change tonight and should be maintaining a regular schedule from here on out. My goal is to have everything up to capacity (corals) by mid January. For christmas I will be purchasing the tank a Par38 LED so the lighting will be getting an upgrade and after getting my WC's on track I'm going to add the CUC. I would also like to start dosing the tank and the brand I was going to use is B-Ionic. Is that a pretty decent brand or is there a better one? Thanks for reading and helping me out! Also if anyone has a par38 lamp, what size optics work best on a standard 10 gallon? I heard the 60's do fine. I want this tank to be a zoa garden so let's get this going! Also anyone in the San Marcos area who is a fellow reefer send me a message, the hobby is much easier and more enjoyable when you can meet and converse with people in your area.
    Last edited by Zack; Wed, 7th Nov 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Regular water changes and stability are the keys to a successful nano tank. Like you said, you start having problems when you start slacking. Make sure to keep your salinity and water temps stable and your tank should be fine.

Personally I wouldn't dose a 2 part system on a tank that small. Your water changes should handle any depleted calcium and minerals. Not too sure on the led optics. I'm old school. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Best of luck to you!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CoryDude View Post
    Regular water changes and stability are the keys to a successful nano tank. Like you said, you start having problems when you start slacking. Make sure to keep your salinity and water temps stable and your tank should be fine.

Personally I wouldn't dose a 2 part system on a tank that small. Your water changes should handle any depleted calcium and minerals. Not too sure on the led optics. I'm old school. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Best of luck to you!
    +1
    Pretty much nailed it. Get a good high quality salt (you can afford it because its a smaller tank and you dont have to buy supplements) and just do regular water changes. Definitely wouldnt need to dose 2 part with zoas as they dont take up much of what is in 2 part.

I would go w/ the 60 degree optics unless you could do 80 but you would get a lot of light spill with those.

An auto top off, hang on back fuge, and a 70watt metal halide light was a recipe for success for Kyle at GC Reef. He had a killer 10 gallon system for a while before he upgraded.
    40 Gallon Breeder on Steroids!!!
    Where You'll Find An Acan, Dendro, and Orange Ricordea Garden In Bloom.

Thanks guys. After getting everything in order with my water schedules, I'm going to purchase a new CUC, the like I said for Christmas, update the lights. When will I know when my tank is ready for corals again? Should I buy a small frag and see how it does or are there signs to look for? Thanks again for all your responses.

With such a small tank I'd just buy some Live Rock and enough Live Sand from an Established Reef Aquarium. That should set you back less than $50 and would speed up your wait time dramatically.
    40 Gallon Breeder on Steroids!!!
    Where You'll Find An Acan, Dendro, and Orange Ricordea Garden In Bloom.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear of your troubles. This can be very demoralizing. Glad to see you are persevering!
    Karin

So after a couple of weeks, I can see some definite improvement in the tank. The lovely folks at Phenomenal Aquatics sold me an awesome CUC last week and after a little less then the week and an adjustment on my photoperiod I can some definite improvement in the algae on my tank. My water params are also getting into check and so I think this week I'm going to buy a small Zoa frag and see how it does. I'll keep you guys updated!

Quote Originally Posted by nanoreefer11 View Post
    So after a couple of weeks, I can see some definite improvement in the tank. The lovely folks at Phenomenal Aquatics sold me an awesome CUC last week and after a little less then the week and an adjustment on my photoperiod I can some definite improvement in the algae on my tank. My water params are also getting into check and so I think this week I'm going to buy a small Zoa frag and see how it does. I'll keep you guys updated!
    Pics please!

I've kept various sized nanos exclusively for ~7 years now with my current 30 gallon about to turn 3 years old. I agree with Cory's earlier statement about water changes. Whenever I notice something amiss, a water change normally clears it right up.

However, I have plenty of SPS in my tank so I dose BIonic two part and DTs magnesium. I would not suggest dosing for your tank with it's current inhabitants.

Good luck!

Christopher

Here's the before and after pic of the rock with the most difference in the week! I had to use my camcorder so excuse the play/pause menu
    Attached Images Attached Images