Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Is The Best/Most Accurate Water Test Kits?

Default Which Is The Best/Most Accurate Water Test Kits?

I am currently using API (which should be renamed to POS) test kits to test my saltwater aquarium... I was curious what test kits are the best to get. I've heard good things about Salifert and Hagen, but wanted to hear what you guys think... Thanks..
    Dustin and Daniele
    55g Corner Bow Front Tank

Trust Me... I'm A Photographer...
    Flickr
    Facebook

Blog Entries

The best kit is the one you can read.
    Those color cards are really tough for me. I don't know if my blue green is blue green or green blue. That's why I prefer Salifert. Has a number chart. I can do numbers. And whatever color change is part of it is really obvious like blue versus pink.
    Karin

Most people will tell you salifert.
    175 gal reef in wall
    7 gal micro reef

I agree salifert is the best. i used API for a year then went to Salifert and its a night and day difference. Well worth the cost.
    - Rick
    20 gallon nano! Back to basics!
    www.arccphotography.com

Blog Entries

I think it was Frank Burr at LMAR that recommended ELOS test kits; I think he even said Salifert was POS.

Cmpared to API anything is a TON better IMO. I only know what I have used and that is API and Salifert. Between the 2 in my opinion Salifert is a good test.
    - Rick
    20 gallon nano! Back to basics!
    www.arccphotography.com

I hear Elos is a gread test. Tropic marin is also pretty good. As well as salifert.
    Dylan

I hate this API and trying to figure the colors... But I guess it's better than nothing and will work till I decide to dish out..

Seachem's are nice. The ph test uses a slide card to determine the corresponding ph value and the ca and mag kits use syringes and you just calculate the # of ml's needed for the color to change. Of course La motte would be the best and most expensive.

Still don't understand why people complain about api's kits. Sure, they're only good for getting you a range, but they are pretty accurate. I know the NO3 kit shows similar values above 10ppm compared to my salifert kit. But, of course anything below that and those 5ppm and 10ppm beige colors are pretty similar.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx

I only use Salifert anymore. API are lousy. I had a Seachem Alk kit that had bad reagents (and the mfg admitted this). After spending $$ chasing non-existent problems, I swore off of anything but Salifert.

In any case, the KEY thing is age. Reagents do not last long, and my belief is that kits over a year old are suspect. Fresh reagents are key to valid results. BTW sunlight (or tank light) is very hard on them. Since many sit on the shelf for that long before being sold...
    Bill

215g FOWLR... and anemones, GSP, gorgonians... carp, that isn't FO!

"I killed my first SW Fish in 1971..."