UPCOMING EVENTS: Fall Frag Swap - 9/7

Thread: Janvil Glass Restoration Kit

Default Janvil Glass Restoration Kit

OK, I will keep this short and sweet.

If you have ever thought of buffing a scratch out of a glass aquarium, and been tempted to buy a kit like this - dont.

Either it doesn't work, or I lack the patience for it (and I spent 2 hours working on a 6 inch scratch tonight that was totally w/in the kits parameters to remove.)

I would show you before and after pics, but, honestly, I can't tell them apart. I made ZERO impact, and i would desperately like those two hours of my life, and the money i spent for the kit back.

oh well.

http://www.janvil.com/

don't do it. Buy a new tank.
    "Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind." ~ Jack Handey

Which kit did you use? I hope it was the $27 one. Rather than spend the $100+ for one of the expensive kits, for all the time and effort, it would probably be easier to tear down the tank (you'd have to do that anyway), and just have that glass panel replaced.

I was thinking about trying something like this scratch remover. Maybe I'll go another way with it now. Thanks for the tip!

it was the 100 dollar kit.
    "Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind." ~ Jack Handey

erikharrison Guest

FYI don't buy a XBOX 360 with Halo 3 if Stephen tells you he is going to team up with you online, lol!

HOW YOU BEEN AHHHH?
    We miss you 'round these parts.

hey now... lets be fair... going through a divorce, moved, started a new job, and lost my Halo 3 disc.

plus, many tears over the loss of my favorite pet store. ;(

go easy on a guy eric!

It is really weird that you did not have luck polishing.

I recently inherited an 80 gallon tank that had scratches on it. It was a nice set up so I wanted to try and salvage it. I did some searching on the internet and found the Janvil Company at JANVIL -The Clear Choice For Glass Scratch Removal and Plastic Polish.. They sold some materials and systems that removed scratches from glass. I decided to purchase the JV-5500-P Janvil Glass Revive System since I had a bunch of scratches. It can be ordered with either for a polisher or a drill. I figured I would give this a try since my wife has been after me about fixing the scratches that her wonderful terrier from hell has put in our sliding glass back door with his nails when he wants to go out. I could always use it on that. I looked at both of their system and decided to go with the Glass revive since I know the door is tempered glass. I think the tank is too.

I got the kit for a polisher and borrowed a Makita polisher model GV7000c that ran in the 2500 4700 rpm range from my neighbor. After reading the manual twice, I sat down at the tank and started to work. I figured I would work on the tank first. if I screwed something up it would be it and not the door on my house.

I first marked and taped off the scratches as instructed. After about 45 minutes in, I did not think I was getting anywhere. I called Janvil. I though this stuff should fill in the scratches. It does not. It removes scratches by feathering them out. Turns out that I needed to cracked up the speed a little and hold the polisher pad more flat against the glass. I was also using way too much water.

I planed to call it a day and my wife and I when out to Wallyworld to pick up some other stuff and grab some lunch. All through the meal, I kept thinking about it. When we got home, I immediately started back on the tank determined to get the project done. This time I started with the Janvil Quick Cut compound and the scratches seem to disappear. It was a lot less messy. I was concerned that the polished area looked hazy with tons of micro scratches. I change over to the Janvil Pro Performance polish and this hazy look disappeared. To make a long story short (I know probably too late) I salvaged the tank and it looks great. I wish I had taken some before pics. I will post some it of the finished tank if I can get my camera pics to work on this site. I had just enough material to fix tank and the scratches in the glass door.

The trick to using this system is to read the book and follow it and be ready to wash the tank out when finished. I wash it and let is soak for a day until I was convince nothing was left behind.

In my humble opinion, The Janvil kit was well worth the money ($100). If you get stuck, the tech support is only a toll free phone call away.

I plan to give this plastic polish a try on my F-150 headlight next.

[quote=Ram_Puppy;580126]OK, I will keep this short and sweet.

Did you call Janvil and ask them for help? You need to make sure you are using the right speed polisher. Even though I though I read and understood the instructions, I was trying to rush the project at first and I was doing it all wrong.

Give Janvil a call, they probaly can help you out.

Default Janvil Glass Restoration Kit Equipment & Do It Yourself.

I recently inherited an 80 gallon tank that had scratches on it. It was a nice set up so I wanted to try and salvage it. I did some searching on the internet and found the Janvil Company at JANVIL -The Clear Choice For Glass Scratch Removal and Plastic Polish.. They sold some materials and systems that removed scratches from glass. I decided to purchase the JV-5500-P Janvil Glass Revive System since I had a bunch of scratches. It can be ordered with either for a polisher or a drill. I figured I would give this a try since my wife has been after me about fixing the scratches that her wonderful terrier from hell has put in our sliding glass back door with his nails when he wants to go out. I could always use it on that. I looked at both of their system and decided to go with the Glass revive since I know the door is tempered glass. I think the tank is too.

I got the kit for a polisher and borrowed a Makita polisher model GV7000c that ran in the 2500 4700 rpm range from my neighbor. After reading the manual twice, I sat down at the tank and started to work. I figured I would work on the tank first. if I screwed something up it would be it and not the door on my house.

I first marked and taped off the scratches as instructed. After about 45 minutes in, I did not think I was getting anywhere. I called Janvil. I though this stuff should fill in the scratches. It does not. It removes scratches by feathering them out. Turns out that I needed to cracked up the speed a little and hold the polisher pad more flat against the glass. I was also using way too much water.

I planed to call it a day and my wife and I when out to Wallyworld to pick up some other stuff and grab some lunch. All through the meal, I kept thinking about it. When we got home, I immediately started back on the tank determined to get the project done. This time I started with the Janvil Quick Cut compound and the scratches seem to disappear. It was a lot less messy. I was concerned that the polished area looked hazy with tons of micro scratches. I change over to the Janvil Pro Performance polish and this hazy look disappeared. To make a long story short (I know probably too late) I salvaged the tank and it looks great. I wish I had taken some before pics. I will post some it of the finished tank if I can get my camera pics to work on this site. I had just enough material to fix tank and the scratches in the glass door.

The trick to using this system is to read the book and follow it and be ready to wash the tank out when finished. I wash it and let is soak for a day until I was convince nothing was left behind.

In my humble opinion, The Janvil kit was well worth the money ($100). If you get stuck, the tech support is only a toll free phone call away.

I plan to give the Janvil plastic polish a try on my F-150 headlights next.