UPCOMING EVENTS: Fall Frag Swap - 9/7

Thread: Janvil Scratch Removal Kit

Default Janvil Scratch Removal Kit

A few months ago I purchased a 110 gallon tank with a fair amount of minor scratches. Before setting it up, I want to have a go at polishing them out. So being the lazy one I am, I finally got around to ordering a non abrasive scratch removal kit from www.janvil.com.

here is the actual kit: http://www.janvil.com/repair_systems.htm#JV430

It is just a starter kit, (and as you can see, expensive) after I give it a go and see if it works, and get the skills down, I will help any of you out that have minor scratches on your glass tanks. (if it works.)

I'll keep you informed.

I have a few I would love to get rid of. Please post if this works or not. Thanks : )
    115g Reef, 4 @ 54w T5, 1 @ 400w MH

The Kit came in today, I just got done reading the instructions. I plan on going out the my parent ranch where I am storing the tank, and working on it tomorrow. I will photodocument the entire process.
    "Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind." ~ Jack Handey

Well I went out on Friday and did a trial run, I chose a deep scratch surrounded by some not so deep scratches, on the side of the tank I hope will be the back (and thus not visible), great area for a test run.

I will upload picutres shortly. Long and short of it is thus:

Deep scratch is still there, though not as noticeable.

The smaller scratches around it seem to be gone, I am pretty happy so far. I can't see that there is any distortion from abrading the scratches out.

I am moving the tank from my parents ranch out to my garage here in the city where I can work at it more easily in the coming weeks. If I can't work the scratches out, I will probably turn it into a large sump.
    "Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind." ~ Jack Handey