PDA

View Full Version : DIY Bristle Worm Trap?

tebstan
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 11:36 AM
I know bristle worms aren't necessarily bad... but, there's a big one that's creeping me out.

I've seen 6 inches of him, but there's a lot more him hiding out. He's less than a quarter inch thick.

I've been doing restricted target feeding to starve him out. He's starting to venture out looking for food, but I can't seem to grab him.

I got one of those bristle worm traps. Useless. I'm not sure he'd fit in it anyway.

This has become a challenge and I don't want to lose to an overgrown worm. What can I use to make a DIY bristle worm trap? I've tried water bottles to mimic the Trap Em on a large scale, but I just get a bunch of nassarius snails.

I've read of a few different different methods, but what worked for you?

Europhyllia
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 11:49 AM
I've done the tupperware with an x-shaped cut in the lid before ... with zero success lol

Mike
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 11:52 AM
I brought a small critter trap you can borrow if you want. We bought it to potentially trap a ghost crab in the big tank (ghost because we have never seen it but have had some attacks in the past). I bought it from D&F. Shout if you want to borrow it to try.

tebstan
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 11:59 AM
Mike, did it ever catch anything? Whats it look like?

A lot of people seem to have tried pvc traps. That sounds like a lot of effort if it doesn't end up working.

How about pantyhose? Anyone tried that one?

Europhyllia
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 12:02 PM
How about pantyhose? Anyone tried that one?
Maybe if you tie it over your eyes so you don't have to see the icky worm anymore? How does it work?

tebstan
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 12:05 PM
Maybe if you tie it over your eyes so you don't have to see the icky worm anymore? How does it work?

Haha... when my brother and I were kids we would pull panty hose over our heads and make faces. It was hilarious at the time, but now I don't like that my mom had picture proof of this event!

It seems people just put a piece of krill in the toe of a pantyhose sock, and place it near the worm's hideout. Seems simple enough and cheap to try, but I wonder how I keep from getting nassarius involved and stealing the bait.

Texreefer
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 12:29 PM
Try a 3/4" pvc tube about 8 inches long. slip 2 caps on the end.. drill a 1/4" hole in one end.... put a piece of shrimp or something in it.. slip the caps on both ends and sink it near where you see the worm leave it for 2 days or so... pull out the Pvc, open the end.. and see what you have caught

tebstan
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 01:28 PM
They won't just crawl back out?

Texreefer
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 01:32 PM
they will stay in there as long as there is food in there,, for the price,, its worth a shot

tebstan
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 01:36 PM
I've already got a pipe with a plug from a previous project. Just need to get a cap for the other end. It's worth a try. I might do the pantyhose too, a worm trap competition. I really want to catch that nasty thing.

Mike
Sun, 12th Jun 2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14699

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_25822_34712D_001.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:popupWin1('/product/detailed_image.cfm?pCatId=14699&large=/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_25822_34712D_001.jpg', 50, 50, 596, 453))

Shout if your tube thing doesn't work and you want to try it.

tebstan
Tue, 14th Jun 2011, 12:24 AM
I've got two traps in the tank now, we'll see which catches the Tremors monster.

There's a PVC pipe trap:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/TebstansTank/Miscellaneous/PVCBristleWormTrap06-13-11.jpg

And a pantyhose trap:
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/TebstansTank/Miscellaneous/PantyhoseBristleWormTrap06-13-11.jpg

I baited them both with krill. I thought the pantyhose thing would be lame, but it has potential. I can shove it down in where the worm hides, instead of hoping he venture toward the pipe.

ShAgMaN
Tue, 14th Jun 2011, 07:02 AM
If I could easily catch my six line I would let you borrow him. I havn't seen a bristle worm in years.

It will be interesting to see what works. If you have nassarius snails and they are small enough to fit in there, they will probably beat out the bristle worm. Well see...Good luck.

tebstan
Tue, 14th Jun 2011, 11:00 AM
I added a six line a while back. He keeps the little ones in check so that they don't grow into monsters. But this one giant worm probably scares the wrasse. It kinda scares me.

The nassarius I have are the small species, but full grown... so they can't fit into the pipe. They probably could manage to eat the bait in the pantyhose, but so far they have left it alone. I'm assuming that's only because it's up in the rock, not on the sand bed. Hermits are desperately trying to get to the krill, but there doesn't appear to be any damage done to the pantyhose yet.

Europhyllia
Tue, 14th Jun 2011, 12:29 PM
can't wait to see the pic of it trapped!!! :)

tebstan
Wed, 15th Jun 2011, 10:25 PM
The only thing the pvc trapped was a rowdy smell. I mean, wow. It was bad.

I got my hopes up with the pantyhose... I saw little specs and hoped it was some worms. Turns out it was just krill eye balls.

I'm going to wash everything out and air out the house, then try again.

*crossing fingers*