PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Clown Gobies *No, the local kind!

FossilReef
Thu, 2nd Oct 2008, 04:50 PM
So I caught a couple of clown gobies out of the Laguna Madre over the weekend and lo and behold, today I have eggs! Oodles of them! Now to grab some rotifers from school...

SoLiD
Thu, 2nd Oct 2008, 07:52 PM
We have Clown Gobies? What do they look like?

justahobby
Thu, 2nd Oct 2008, 08:47 PM
Very bad a@#. I'm with Solid on the curiosity level.... what kind/color/pics?

FossilReef
Thu, 2nd Oct 2008, 10:13 PM
Well, probably nothing like what you're thinking! These are Microgobius gulosus. Here's a pic, not mine though: http://investigacion.izt.uam.mx/ocl/Peces/Fotos/Microgobius%20gulosus.jpg

SoLiD
Fri, 3rd Oct 2008, 01:27 AM
Really... Those look kinda cute. I've never seen anything that looks like that here. I'd like to know where you found'em. Thanks for sharing.

glennr1978
Fri, 3rd Oct 2008, 01:31 AM
very cool!!

apedroza
Fri, 3rd Oct 2008, 08:16 AM
Those are awesome looking fish!!!! Good luck with the hatching.

stoneroller
Sat, 4th Oct 2008, 02:34 AM
Nice fish, good luck. For a little reading:
Parental care and reproductive behavior of the clown goby, Microgobius gulosus, with observations on predator interactions
Author: Gaisner, Ana
Source: Environmental Biology of Fishes, Volume 73, Number 4, August 2005 , pp. 341-356(16)

Abstract:
Describe reproductive behavior and mating system of the clown goby from field observations. Clown gobies exhibit a loosely haremic mating system. Pairs construct burrows at the base of cattails, the roots of which provide structural support and a spawning substrate. Larger males monopolize multiple burrows, each with an individual female. After spawning, males camouflage burrow entrances with sand and females brood developing young for 4 days. Males continue to guard the covered nests in 50% of observed brooding periods. Burrows are also used as shelter from predators. Both sexes confront intruders but only males exhibit a distinct color response to juvenile blue crabs, Callinectes sapidus, the most significant predator. The male color response appeared to mimic the color of adult blue crabs, a known predator of juvenile crabs, perhaps acting as a deterrent. The presence of the predatory blue crab may require one parent to perform deterrent displays, promoting female care in this mating system.

FossilReef
Sat, 4th Oct 2008, 09:28 AM
I don't anticipate much luck with this batch, since I was completely unprepared and didn't have a rotifer culture going. That, and I'm heading to Houston for a couple of days. Hey stoneroller, thanks for the citation, I'll be sure to get that article as soon as I get back!

sly fox
Sun, 5th Oct 2008, 09:51 PM
very cool

FossilReef
Tue, 21st Oct 2008, 04:13 PM
Yep, so just to update, my trip to the convention in Houston pretty much spelled doom for this first batch. They haven't laid again since, so I've got to put them on a light/temp schedule to see what I can do.

nubz
Sun, 29th Nov 2009, 01:10 AM
do your sift sand? mine do mine also hassle my pistol shrimp like they wanna host it.
i catch them near pistol shrimp holes so they proly do pair up but my oistols are from the jetties and have never seen a goby before.

NateDogg
Mon, 25th Jan 2010, 11:03 PM
any updates