PDA

View Full Version : 29G Biocube w/ 150W MH, Vortech, Refugium, Modded Skimmer, UV, etc.

fjr_wertheimber
Tue, 2nd Sep 2008, 11:12 PM
Okay, so I figured I've had this tank for over a month now, it's high time I got around to starting up a thread about it... It's been great, got a fantastic deal on it from addboy, and I've really enjoyed it. Plus, the corals seem happy, so that's a good thing. Oh, AND it even came with a mandarin that eats anything and everything it sees!

The tank
http://lh4.ggpht.com/101pdt/SL395Ft2yQI/AAAAAAAAAdY/GdgUQfaB5x0/s800/IMG_8743.jpg

The obligatory FTS
http://lh3.ggpht.com/101pdt/SL398woGNWI/AAAAAAAAAdk/TpxraGfm6r0/s800/IMG_8698.jpg

Close up of some new zoas from dblackmon
http://lh3.ggpht.com/101pdt/SL396RSw_LI/AAAAAAAAAdc/FxJsjN75V2E/s800/IMG_8727.jpg
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DnpuoSLWm1hQdfdi8WpJZA?authkey=GJGsKDGrRJg%22%3E%3 Cimg%20src=%22http://lh4.ggpht.com/101pdt/SL395Ft2yQI/AAAAAAAAAdY/GdgUQfaB5x0/s800/IMG_8743.jpg

dustint21
Wed, 3rd Sep 2008, 12:11 AM
Very nice!

fjr_wertheimber
Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks, Dustin.

Okay, so got my Vortech in last week and have been playing with it every since... That thing is sooooo cool! The fish, shrimp, and crabs all seem to enjoy it, and corals are polyped out to the extreme! WELL worth the money, I'm absolutely thrilled! I'll post pics soon.

BioCube14
Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 11:48 PM
lookout for the new biocube 29 skimmer from shapphire aquatics it will be out next month..nanotuners dot com. I want a vortech soooo bad! they are a bit pricey for me right now

fjr_wertheimber
Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I've been reading about that new Sapphire skimmer, the problem is it uses the middle chamber which I've currently got occupied... besides, Garrett (addboy) modded up the skimmer on my cube and it actually works pretty well...

BriGuy
Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 07:08 PM
Would like to see a top view of this tank....trying to figure out where you put all this mods!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
BriGuy

fjr_wertheimber
Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 09:47 PM
Well, bear in mind, there are actually 2 Biocubes, one with the 150w HQI and Vortech MP20 with CPR HOB Refugium and modded Skimmer, and the other with the 4.36 upgrade, skimmer, Koralia Nano, and modded Tunze Nanostream 6025.

fjr_wertheimber
Fri, 12th Sep 2008, 11:27 AM
Okay, so I liked the Vortech before... then I got some chromis yesterday... and now I LOVE the Vortech... watching them surf the flow is soooooo cool! ZOMG, this thing just rocks! I'm going to try to get some video and post it later, if I can find the charger for my miniDV camera...

fjr_wertheimber
Fri, 12th Sep 2008, 04:11 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/101pdt/SMrMAQKemHI/AAAAAAAAAew/6aWSxhpqEF4/s800/fts.jpg
New FTS, pardon the reflections on the glass, I'll take more photos later. Note the new chromis and Acantharus japonicus surfing the Vortech flow...

fjr_wertheimber
Mon, 15th Sep 2008, 02:33 AM
The specs:
Oceanic 29G Biocube
150W Current Metal Halide with 20,000K XM Bulb
Vortech MP20
CPR HOB Refugium
Modded Oceanic skimmer (extended reaction chamber, upgraded air pump)
Return pump replaced by MJ1200
9W UV Sterilizer
2 Little Fishes Phosban Reactor
Middle chamber filled with live rock rubble
Approx. 28 lbs of Tonga branch live rock

The inhabitants:
Small Alpheus randalli "Pistol Pete"
Small Synchiropus picturatus "Midori" (he eats everything!)
4 x Small Chromis viridis "Aoi Ichi" "Aoi Ni" "Aoi San" "Aoi Shi"
Small Acanthurus japonicus "Koban"
Medium Lysmata amboinensis "Leon"

BioCube14
Tue, 16th Sep 2008, 01:12 PM
how do you like the MP20? too much flow??

fjr_wertheimber
Tue, 16th Sep 2008, 05:06 PM
I absolutely LOVE the MP20, and nope, not too much flow. In fact, I almost wish I'd gotten the MP40W (although, that's easily fixed in the future if I decide to). I've currently got the flow cranked up to the max and it makes about a 1/2-3/4" wave in the tank, and the fish and corals all seem to love it. If you want some massively configurable flow in your tank, with the option to create Wavebox-like waves, a fantastic reef or lagoon simulation, or a bunch of other setups, too, then I'd highly recommend it. IMHO, it's well worth the money, and the MP20 works great on a nano-sized (truly nano, not the Tunze 55 gallon+ version of nano) tank. I LOVE it, wish I'd gotten one a while ago. It really makes for much more entertaining viewing of the tank, too.

fjr_wertheimber
Sun, 21st Sep 2008, 01:16 PM
Added a new clam a couple of days ago, bought if from Aquatek. Funnily enough, the clam I bought was one that zcatzmeow traded in a few weeks ago. LOL

Top down shot:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/101pdt/SNaAyIkmIOI/AAAAAAAAAhU/VybeI7vx004/s800/clam_top.jpg

apedroza
Sun, 21st Sep 2008, 11:33 PM
Added a new clam a couple of days ago, bought if from Aquatek. Funnily enough, the clam I bought was one that zcatzmeow traded in a few weeks ago. LOL

Top down shot:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/101pdt/SNaAyIkmIOI/AAAAAAAAAhU/VybeI7vx004/s800/clam_top.jpg

I've done the exact same thing with some blasto's. Sold them on MAAST and they were posted for sale again but looked totally different, so I bought them, and now have sold them again.

fjr_wertheimber
Thu, 25th Sep 2008, 11:48 PM
Okay, got a bunch o' stuff today for the tank...
First off, did anyone else know that yellow-headed jawfish are jumpers? Never knew that 'til I was opening the bag to acclimate the jawfish and that little dude took up outta the bag like a Saturn V rocket! Doh!!
Got a beautiful piece of sun coral from Aquadome, they had others there, too. Nice and cheap, even.
Got with J_G and got some AWESOME deals on some great frags from him... Picked up some J_G Yellow, some Starry Night acropora, ORA German Blue, and a couple of other milli frags. BEAUTIFUL corals, amazing prices, and as always amazing to see that tank. Thanks, John!

fjr_wertheimber
Fri, 26th Sep 2008, 12:41 AM
Okay, so speaking of corals, here's as close to a complete listing of what I've got as I can figure out... LOL

ORA Miami Orchid Staghorn - Acropora sp.
ORA Tri-color Valida Staghorn - Acropora valida
ORA German Blue-polyp digitata - Montipora digitata
ORA Super Purple digitata - Montipora digitata
ORA Orange Capricornis - Montipora capricornis
ORA Pink Bird's Nest - Seriatopora hystrix
ORA Green Stylophora - Stylophora pistillata
AAF's Stag - Acropora sp.
Incredible Hulk acropora - Acropora sp. (with Acro crab Domecia acanthophora hitchhiker!)
ATL Bali Tricolor - Acropora sp.
J_G Yellow - Acropora sp.
Cranberry millepora - Acropora millepora
Starry Night acropora - Acropora sp.
ORA German Blue - Acropora sp.
DFS Neon Vermiculata Acropora
Yellow and Purple Encrusting Montipora - Montipora peltiformis
Cherry Bomb zoanthids - Zoanthus sp.
Spiderman zoanthids - Zoanthus sp.
Warpspeed montipora - Montipora Spumosa
Kryptonite Candy Cane - Caulastrea furcata
Blue Comet Zoas - Zoanthus sp.
Orange Sun Coral - Tubastrea faulkneri
Green and Purple Hammer Coral - Euphyllia sp.
Green Star Polyps - Pachyclavularia violacea

plus a few others I know I must be forgetting or can't identify...

CynthiaM
Fri, 26th Sep 2008, 12:04 PM
You've got quite a collection there.....beautiful set up. Do you have a sixline wrasse.....I figure since you got the clam, you'll probably need a wrasse to keep any pesky critters, and the sixline seems to be in smaller category.

rabadanmarco
Fri, 26th Sep 2008, 03:12 PM
i think this was a setup i had originaly made at alamo when i used to work their...if not its a coincidence that setup was made again...haha...super nice by the way

apedroza
Fri, 26th Sep 2008, 06:02 PM
i think this was a setup i had originaly made at alamo when i used to work their...if not its a coincidence that setup was made again...haha...super nice by the way

If I'm not mistaken the set up came from Garrett (addboy) that I think customized it himself. It used to packed full of sps and zoas.

fjr_wertheimber
Fri, 26th Sep 2008, 08:57 PM
First off, thanks to everyone for the nice comments. This is my second saltwater tank, the other was another BC29g, but with PC lighting, which was a great learning experience for me, and I've really taken and embraced zcatzmeow's view of nanos as a little bonsai garden. All in all, I'm very happy and pleased with the way the tank is coming along, I'm loving the mix of colors and types of corals, absolutely love the mix of fish and inverts. I can't wait to watch it all grow and mature!

Yup, Apredoza hit the nail on the head, the tank came from Garrett (addboy). He'd modded the skimmer and replaced the stock hood with the 150w MH fixture. The MP20 is all me. :-) Unfortunately I didn't get all the corals that were in there before, those have been new additions by me, 99% of them from MAAST members. Some of the SPS stuff is just now starting to color up (they were browned out when I bought 'em from Dblackmon because of his tank problems) and they're starting to look really nice, especially the Tri-Color Valida. Although, interestingly enough, what WAS a cranberry mille is now a beautiful deep and vibrant emerald green mille... Very odd.

Oh, and no, CynthiaM, no Six-Line Wrasse in there. They just don't "do it" for me. I've got a spotted mandarin that eats all the weird little stuff, so a SLW would just be competing with him for stuff anyways. Heck, ask zcatzmeow about her mandarin, Beemer, that dude devours flat worms like they're a delicacy. LOL

Andrew v.s wild
Sun, 28th Sep 2008, 12:06 AM
That is one amazing tank!!

fjr_wertheimber
Sun, 28th Sep 2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks, man. Looks even better today than it did in the last pics. I'll take some more photos and post them tomorrow.

Andrew v.s wild
Sun, 28th Sep 2008, 01:37 AM
Where did you find your biocube?

fjr_wertheimber
Sun, 28th Sep 2008, 02:13 AM
One of them came from River City Aquatics (by way of Zcatzmeow), the other I bought from Garrett (addboy).

VoodooMach
Tue, 30th Sep 2008, 09:03 PM
Tang police... lol.

himegs
Fri, 3rd Oct 2008, 10:46 PM
Very nice tank. Are you happy with all the mods, or are there any you would skip if doing it again?

fjr_wertheimber
Sat, 4th Oct 2008, 01:09 AM
Thanks, himegs. Yup, I'm very happy with all the mods, wouldn't skip any of 'em. The Vortech, especially, has been outstanding. Wish I'd done it earlier.

fjr_wertheimber
Fri, 10th Oct 2008, 09:59 PM
Okay, so a few new additions to the coral list today...

GARF Purple Bonsai acropora
20,000 Leagues Lokani
J_G Acropora Meridiana (this particular Acropora sp. hasn't been pulled from the ocean for the past 7 years +, so a neat find)
Pearlberry Acropora
ORA Purple Plasma Acropora

Oh, and while cleaning the tank I found another piece of Acropora on the sand bed... no idea where it came from, it's not a piece of any of my other corals... there aren't any frags missing from the rockwork... and I don't recognize it... Weird, right? But, it's alive and seems to be doing well, so whatever it is I hope it grows well...

Oh, and some exciting stuff coming down the line, so watch this space... although, really, I might have to move to another space... a... non-nano space... Ooooooohhhhh...

fjr_wertheimber
Sat, 11th Oct 2008, 10:30 PM
And you folks thought I was kidding about the Tang Police:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/101pdt/SPFgzS32hqI/AAAAAAAAAik/o7soFm0F4Jw/s800/Screen%20capture%201.png
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1486228

fjr_wertheimber
Sat, 11th Oct 2008, 11:08 PM
Well, it is with a (semi-) heavy heart that I say that I will be moving on, no longer posting to the Nano Tanks thread.

Why, you ask? Am I getting rid of the Tank Formerly Known as the Muscle Cube? Well, yes, I am. (http://maast.org/forums/showthread.php?p=633408#post633408) :cry_smile:

However, those of you who've been paying attention to the For Sale/Want to Buy threads will notice a trend... :angel:

(Pics and more info to follow soon... On a new thread... not in the Nano Tanks section...)

Euclid
Mon, 13th Oct 2008, 11:25 PM
Nice tank!

fjr_wertheimber
Mon, 13th Oct 2008, 11:34 PM
It is; I really enjoyed it. Glad it went to a good home! Enjoy it!