sharkboy
Sat, 7th Jul 2007, 08:08 PM
Wow! Nice.....

LoneStar
Sat, 7th Jul 2007, 08:24 PM
Nice work

hanknmorgan
Sat, 7th Jul 2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the compliments Joshua. I am glad you like it as much I like mine. The frags are mounted and in their new home. My little 12g is starting to look like a real reef now. Thanks again. I'm sure your livestock will be much happier with their new light and I think it looks great on the tank. Especially since the biocube has a black frame. My JBJ nanocube is that grayish color, but it still looks sharp with the black powdercoated top. Enjoy!

markgsa
Sat, 7th Jul 2007, 08:37 PM
WOW!!! :w00t Where were you 3 yrs ago when i set up my nanocube??? Just joking. That is excellent work. Congrats to Joshua.

gjuarez
Sat, 7th Jul 2007, 11:51 PM
Very nice Joshua... Im getting my 70w halide on tuesday, I am not even sure how I am going to do mine. I am not even sure I have the skills to do so, heck I dont even have the tools. LOL.... ANy tips Hank?

hanknmorgan
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 02:51 AM
It is possible to put the retrofit kit into your stock hood, but I imagine cooling would be a major challenge. And you would have to go dremel crazy and hack up the stock hood big time. Upgrade the fans and add more fans, and you would need to rig up a glass or lexan cover as the stock one will melt. From writeups and experiences that I have read with MH in a stock top on any of the small cubes fighting temps is a big concern. I would definately recommend some sort of canopy and ditch the stock top. You will have more evaporation being "open top" but the benefits outweigh the tradeoffs in my opinion as you have much more ability to keep from cooking your tank. You just have to be adamant about water top offs or get/make an auto top off device. I imagine you could make a decent looking canopy out of wood pretty easily and with basic hand tools. I made several wood canopies and stands for some tanks that we used to have. They can either be stained or painted and made to look quite nice for not alot of time and money. I would recomend some sort of primer like "Kilz" brand or similar on the inside of the canopy. I imagine over time that the moisture and bare wood may not get along too well. Another option that would work would be to put the halide in a pendant style fixture and hang it above the tank. Alot of people use halogen security light fixtures which can be purchased for a cheap as $10 or so. Or, I can make a top for your tank and utilize your retrofit kit. I can do a MH only setup like Joshua's or a MH with PC and moonlights like I did on my tank. Not the cheapest route, but I'd like to thank that it's a great setup for the money. Good luck with everything.

gjuarez
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 04:39 AM
How bout I leave it up to you and you make me the the hood. I would really appreciate it if you could do that for me. Can you send me a pm with all details. Joshua, do you still have the collection of all your zoos?

gjuarez
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 03:45 PM
Bummer, that was a nice collection. I still remember that 30g cube, very nice.. Do you have any full tank shots of your current 14g biocube. Need some ideas. There is not much room for aquascaping, i will need to be very creative.

gjuarez
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 03:57 PM
What bulb are you using for you halides? It has a bluish hue to it?

blueboy
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 05:20 PM
wow, that is a sharp looking hood! very profesional looking!

gjuarez
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 06:14 PM
I got mine with the 10 ushio. I am going to need some actinic supplimentation. ANy suggestions for 14k bulbs?

hanknmorgan
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 07:49 PM
Ushio makes a 14k and the 14k astralux bulb seems to be the most popular 70w, but they are hard to come buy. www.myreefshop.com is the only place I know that carries them. I wanted that bulb that they were back ordered for like 2 months.

brewercm
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 08:02 PM
That cube is starting to look nice.

mathias
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 09:26 PM
hmmm I would be willing to pay someone for a hood like that *HINT* *HINT*

hanknmorgan
Sun, 8th Jul 2007, 10:23 PM
If anyone is interested in a light hood for their tank, shoot me a PM. I wouldnt mind making a few more. It doesnt have to be a cube. I can do larger ones, hanging pendants, whatever.

erikharrison
Mon, 9th Jul 2007, 12:45 AM
dude that is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!