PDA

View Full Version : Sick Digitata?

NaCl_H2O
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 12:53 AM
Below is a picture of one of my Montipora Digitata - basically all my Digis look similar, yuck! This pic was taken with a flash, so colors are off a little. I have examined pieces for parasites, and don't see anything? They have been getting progressively worse over the past about 2 weeks.

I did miss a water change, so it has been 3 weeks since the last - making water now. Also, my Ca Reactor was offline for 2 days about the time this started due to an empty CO2 bottle - getting it dialed back in has resulted in higher than normal dKH. Current readings are:

PH = 8.00 (After lights out)
SG = 1.025
Ca = 413
dKH = 12.8
Ammonia = 0 (maybe a trace)
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5-10 (Due to the missed water change I suspect)

So, can this reduced water quality result in this poor condition for the Digi, or should I be looking for something else?

Adam mentioned a Nudi that eats away at Digi's (look like bergias) and I thought I may have seen these once, but can't see any now.

Thanks for you thoughts!

MikeyBoy
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 10:31 AM
I have had some recession like that.
I was given a piece that was sick from Felipe to try and recover.

I eventually had to frag and reglue after a dip.
Mine looks like just a real slow recession of a dead part..........
Not quite like yours.

JimD
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 10:57 AM
My guess would be Nudis, Ive seen the damage they can cause in other tanks, look real close especially on the underside of any caps you might have, tiny grains of rice, eggs,. You can try manual removal or plastering them with kalk, ultimately, you may end up removing all Montipora species in the tank if they get established. Id toss the piece pictured and any otheres that resemble it. Fragging may be futile.

::pete::
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 04:35 PM
Is there a picture of these nudi's some where?

Have you tried chicken soup?

CD
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 05:03 PM
We are truly beginning to see just how picky SPS corals are ourselves...I think ANY type of fluctuation in tank temp, flow, lighting, water quality, etc. is reason enough for SPS to get stressed. I'm about ready to throw my hands up on our SPS...been having a nasty problem with tissue necrosis again ourselves <sigh>, and I'm thinking temp fluctuations in our case, as a good portion of what we've lost lately are established (encrusting and growing) corals. Our chiller controller had gone wacky, and we've had the fans on 24-7 with the hood propped up for extra heat to escape...even though the temp increase overall has only been about two degrees (from 79 with chiller to 81 with fans), I can't think of anything else that would have contributed to this problem.

Steve - so it's JUST the digi's? Are any of the other acros showing less polyp extension? Knowing how careful you are with your system in keeping parameters/temp/etc. consistant, I would lean towards some sort of parasite myself...I HOPE that's not the case!! Tissue necrosis usually works fast though...how does everything look today? Oh - and I'd get the sick corals out or frag off the bad sections ASAP as Jim mentioned....

W.

JimD
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 05:24 PM
That to me doesnt look like rtn or stn because of the blotchyness of the infection, a necrotic event would be more even in appearance. The unevenness suggests random tissue degradation which leads me to believe its some kind of parasite like a nudibrach. Rtn and stn can sometimes happen for no obvious reason whatsoever, no explaination, it just simply occurs and disappears. Im a believer that most sps are fairly hardy and tolerant to system fluctuations to a degree, a temp of 79/ 81 certainly is within acceptable range. Once an acro rtn's, theres not much you can do to save it other than fragging it. Ive noticed that high or low Alk can sometimes be attributed to a necrotic event. This is probably the level I would recommend the most stability next to Ph.

Richard
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 06:24 PM
IME monti's are much more sensitive to toxins from soft corals, especially sarcophytum species.

I've never seen them but I'm told that there is a monti eating nudibranch that only feeds on montipora. It's supposed to be very small (pinhead size) and white so it's very hard to see.

Those are couple of things to consider if it's only monti's that are having a problem.

NaCl_H2O
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the input folks! Tonight I am doing an 80g (~20%) water change, and will do the same again as soon as I can make up another 80g. I removed all the Digis & Caps I could (some encrusting still left on rocks) and threw them all in a bucket of RO/DI water and Reef Chem. Soaked them for about 20m, and dumped all the pieces in my frag tank ... we shall see?

I inspected several pieces of each with a magnifying glass and couldn't find anything except mini-stars and a few pods that didn't jump off in time. Nothing that looked like a Nudi, or grains of rice? I also have a few Acros that look "not so good", removed them and dipped too, couldn't see anything on them either. So, I am either blind, stupid, in denial, or a little of each ... surely I'm not pest free :unsure - But I am at a loss?

So, just so I don't get BLASTED ... If you got any frags from me in the past, I dipped them before I bagged them, and I told you to dip them before you put them in your tank, no warranties expressed or implied :P

Have you tried chicken soup?
Hum, worth a try - should I make it up with RO/DI or saltwater <_<

Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 10:25 PM
I had a cap do this along with the brown purple tip digi. I fragged the cap and kept just a pea size piece and its now about the size of a half dollar with great poly extension. The digi came back on its own and everything has been fine since.

I was knocking off some Nacl"Creep" :P off the glass the other day and some landed on my orange cap, but I didnt notice until I went around front. Those areas died, but are now covering over. So would have to agree and just because they are good beginner sps and grow fast they are still sensative. :wub

NaCl_H2O
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 11:21 PM
I don't think these could be contibuting, don't se them on any corals, but I have an increased population of these little guys lately

NaCl_H2O
Mon, 12th Sep 2005, 11:46 PM
what color is the flesh of the limpets?

Light colored - grey/pink ... was that a "good" answer?

NaCl_H2O
Tue, 13th Sep 2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on these little dudes. Only see them crawling around on live rock, and in the sump, except there were a few on the backside of one cup shaped monti I pulled out.

Does anyone have a pic or reference for the Monti eating Nudi's?

NaCl_H2O
Tue, 13th Sep 2005, 12:40 AM
Those are some tiny little SOBs :angry I just went and looked and can't find anything similar, I'm gonna do some more inspecting after a little more "Dark Time".

Thanks for the links Brian!

Tue, 13th Sep 2005, 09:11 AM
Awsome ... thanks Brian