PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP

MinnVikes
Thu, 24th Feb 2005, 08:08 PM
:( OK I HAVE DRAWF FLAME ANGEL AND I CHECK UP ON ALL MY FISH TWO TO THREE TIMES A DAY. WELL BE FOR I ASK THE ? HERE IS WHAT I HAVE IN MY TANK I HAVE FIJI LIVE ROCK AND THE CORALS ARE STARBURST, BRAIN, MUSHROOMS, AND POLYPS. THE OTHER FISH THAT I HAVE BESIDE THE FLAME ANGEL IS A YELLOW TAIL DAMSEL AND A LONGNOSE HAWKFISH (WHICH MY GRANDMA HATES HAHAH) BUT NOW TO THE SERIOUS PART. I JUST GOT DONE CHECKING IN ON MY FISH AND NOTICED SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY FLAME ANGEL. ONE SIDE OF HIS BODY LOOKS GREAT AND THE OTHER SIDE OF HIS BODY LOOKS GREAT TO UNTIL YOU GET TO THE AREA AROUND HIS EYE (NOW NOT BOTH OF HIS EYE JUST ONE,, THE RIGHT SIDE) WELL I NOTICED THAT THERE WAS LIKE SOME BUMPS, WHITEISH LOOKING THERE ARE ABOUT 2 OF THEM. WHAT ARE THEY AND DOES THIS MEAN THAT HE IS SICK? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? AT FIRST I THOUGHT MAYBE HE JUST RAN INTO A ROCK OR SOMETHING BUT THE I CALLED GARY P. AND HE SAID HE DIDNT KNOW, AND THAT I SHOULD POST IT HERE TO GET HELP FROM YALL. WELL I AM ASKING FOR YOU HELP NOW. SO IF YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS AND WHAT I CAN DO PLEASE TELL ME FAST BEOFRE THE STORE CLOSES. THANKS

beagleton
Thu, 24th Feb 2005, 08:45 PM
well i thought mabey ich or some other pathogen, but if gary p doesnt know than im out of my league.

blueboy
Thu, 24th Feb 2005, 08:50 PM
have there been any recent sources of stress? sometimes ich will just pop up(it's always been there) due to stress, in these cases, if the cause is one time, or is elliminated, it will clear up on it's own. keep a close eye on her, and good luck.

Reef69
Thu, 24th Feb 2005, 09:25 PM
Make sure he/she is eating, feed her as much as he/she can eat..but dont pollute the water though, try using garlic xtreme or formula 2 with garlic, it boosts up their inmune system and helps them fight off protozoans...good luck

Ram_Puppy
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 01:10 AM
As has been said, feed, use garlic as it induces a healthy feeding response if nothing else. Test your water parameters to ensure that nothing is out of whack and causing stress. If parameters DON'T check out, do a water change.

Also, please don't type in all caps, it makes it difficult to read your post. (it is also considered yelling.)

WELCOME TO MAAST! :)

Instar
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 03:13 PM
Minn, All this is really speculation at best. There is no way to diagnose 2 white bumps without a close look at them as its all going to be guessing. However I would bet against it being ick as this initial description does not fit ick. Give us some idea how long you had all the rocks and how long you've had all the fish? What size tank, depth of sand and is there a refugium attached? What do you feed the flame and how often? Do any of the other fish protect a place from intruders to the point that the flame could have been injured in a hit and run attack? White bumps are not necessarily anything bad BTW. They may just be a local excess of some of the mucous membrane due to a reaction response from a rough water change or radical glass scraping or similar event. Have you tested your calcium level, pH, nitrite, etc?

MinnVikes
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 03:33 PM
All my levels are fine i have had the tank for about two months and i have had the fish for about a two or three weeks and yes it still is there today. The flame sort of copys the longnose and what I mean by that is that, the longnose is always playing against the glass and the flame will copy what it is doing. Also i noticed that that when i put my open brain coral in there the flame fish went up to it and thenout of no were the flame jumped back lick it had just been kicked or punched, i mean i jumped back to the point were it kicked alot of sand onto the open brain coral. I dont think it could have been a hit and run so to say bc the three fish that I have all have there own spots that the go to, I mean they each have there own rocks and I know they know which ones are theres and arent. I dont know what a REFUGIUM is sorry, so I cant answer that. I have about a noraml amount of sand in there.
well I think I answered everything and also on thing I forgot to say is that I will be doing a Chemi-Clean tonight so that during the night it will clean everything for me, do you think that will help the fish? I mean i am not doing it for the fish so to say but it might help it out.
Ryan

MinnVikes
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 03:37 PM
i mean it* jumped back

Instar
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 04:20 PM
A refugium is a separate tank or compartment where you grow macro alages (marine plants) where they can not eaten by the fish or grow over your corals. Its also a place where little shimp breed to supply the main tank with food.

What are you trying to fix with the Chemi-Clean? Your tank is pretty new as marine tanks go, so stability is not there yet. In regard to your flame angel, is he eating every chance he can? What size tank? Many fish spend some time swimming against the glass as if they are excited to see something across the room. A flame should spend some time picking on the rocks too and eat when you feed him. In regard to a new flame and putting in a new coral, many new wild fish will jump like they are startled when something new is put in the tank. In the wild a new brain coral in their habitat doesn't just appear from nowhere. Imagine what you would think if you got up in the morning and there was something size of a small barn in your living room and its skin was moving? Freak you out, wouldn't it? It may even give you white bumps. Some virus's only make their presence know during a time of stress. Something that kicked enough adrenaline off to make a fish jump back could cause that reaction in his mucous. Its a natural defense. But this is still all conjecture since we don't know the "why?" behind the chemi-clean or have a good description of the size, texture and shape of the white bumps.

Viet-Tin
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 04:36 PM
Does the spot look like fuzzt cotton?

GaryP
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 08:31 PM
The Chemi Clean is because he has cyano starting to spread across his LR. I told him to give it a try as well as increasing flow and adding hermits.

Having a cyano outbreak is not surprising because of the age of his tank.

MinnVikes
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 08:39 PM
And its working very very good i just added it about 2 hours ago and the rocks are looking great and the i added a better pump so the flew is amazing plus the crabs are cleaning all the sand and some of the rocks too. Also got a cleaner shrimp that is helping things out. So I geuss I will wait and see how the fish reacts to a much better invorment, so I geuss I am just playing a waiting game now. What do yall think? Do yall think I have done the right stuff?

GaryP
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 08:57 PM
I'd do about a 20% water change this weekend.

What water are you using for make-up water and making salt water?

MinnVikes
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 10:34 PM
do you mean what kind of water am i making into saltwater? well if thats the ? I am using tap water then adding conditoner, then after that adding oceanic salt to make the salt water.

MinnVikes
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 10:38 PM
can the cyano alage kill you live rocks and or all your corals? can it kill everything, besides the fish? Thanks

CD
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 11:34 PM
I am using tap water then adding conditoner, then after that adding oceanic salt to make the salt water.

Not good. Minn, you'd be better off using RO/DI water for topoff and mixing the Oceanic with. Most fish stores will have this type of water for you to buy and it's generally really cheap...especially if you have a smaller tank. Once you start getting into anything over say 45G in tank size, it saves money eventually to have a RO/DI unit installed in your house.

Wendy

MinnVikes
Fri, 25th Feb 2005, 11:58 PM
Ok kool. But can you answer this please can the cyano alage kill your live rocks and or all your coral? Can it kill everything, besides the fish, and when I say everything i mean all the rocks and corals?

CD
Sat, 26th Feb 2005, 12:06 AM
can the cyano alage kill your live rocks and or all your coral?

Well, I've had cyano in my tank before, but not very much. I suppose if it got thick enough it could choke out things on your LR and coral. When I had my little outbreak, I sucked as much of it out of the tank as I could with a turkey baster, and the clean up crew (snails & hermits) took care of the rest. I'll bet when you start using the RO/DI water it will help. You could also have a water flow issue (dead spots) and possibly other problems with the chemical balances of your water. Since you've already taken steps as far as inverts and flow, use the RO/DI and give it some time.

Wendy

Ram_Puppy
Sat, 26th Feb 2005, 07:41 AM
Minn, ditch the conditioner.

As long as your using TAP water fill up your container and mix your salt up, let it stand for a day before using, preferably with a small power head stirring it, no worries about chlorine. If I am not mistaken, salt water actually neutralizes chlorine and chloramine, but I could be WAY off on that, better to let Gary on one of the other chemistry guys comment on that.

Instar
Sat, 26th Feb 2005, 09:28 AM
Well, tap water just makes bad things happen all the way around. Sometimes you can get by with it for a short time, but, most of our tap here in this part of the country is crap. Just remember: Tap = Crap. You need at least RO. If you are going to use Instant Ocrean (IO) salt, then you can draw the water a day ahead of time, let it aerate for 24 hours or more, then add the salt. I wouldn't use any other brand if you're going to use tap water regardless of what anyone recommends. No matter, tap still ='s crap. Cyano really is annoying, but, unless its way out of control, it doesn't harm anything. If harm comes to things, it will be because of using tap water with conditioner. The water in Texas might be great for fresh water ciclids, but, NOT for your reef. Change a good bit of your water after the chemi-clean and run some marine grade of carbon in the filter too. You really want all the dead cyano out of there as well as the chemi-clean. Make sure your water change is heated to match the tank and take your time with it. You can shag water in a couple totes if you have to, until you figure out what to do about an RO/DI unit at home.