PDA

View Full Version : brown jelly disease

MarkLW
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 10:09 AM
We currently have a coral with brown jelly disease. It is eating an inch of one of our corals a day... went to lfs and they stated we could use lugos solution (iodine) to bathe it in saltwater for 10 minutes... lost the instructions and they dont open til noon... anyone know the concentration that we should be using for this stuff?

Instar
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 10:59 AM
Logols is pretty strong stuff. You could start with 1 drop in just enough water to cover the coral and soak it for 10 minutes. That would be tank water with the lugols added in a separate container, not in the tank (sorry, don't know your experience). I would doubt this will solve the brown jelly disease alone. What I would do is prepare a container and take 3 steps. In the first one of tank water, remove as much of the brown jelly as possible with a clean toothbrush. Take the coral out and sit it on a paper towel and rinse out the container very, very well. Then fill with tank water again and rinse the coral off. Dump that water down the sink too. Fill with fresh tank water and add the lugols. Soak the coral. Put it back in the tank. This will probably only slow the progress of the disease down some for a little while. Providing all your water is moving fast and has no debri in it and your lights are not old, it is most likely you will have to cut the tips off to save it. The tips can be glued to shells and/or rocks to grow new colonies. Brown jelly is fatal normally and will affect other corals in your tank if you get it floating around. Turn your pumps off when you pick up that colony so it doesn't get blown around your tank. Best bet is to save the healthy parts that are left and forget about the rest of it because all of the brown jelly part and the tissue within about 1/2 inch of it is already dead anyway. Cut the coral with dykes (wire cutters) to be sure of a clean cut away from the diseased part. The good part should encrust and do just fine once glued to a rock, shell or flower pick. Good luck - what kind of coral is it anyway?

JimD
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 11:18 AM
It would also help to know the type of coral in question, sps/lps/species.

astrong
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 12:29 PM
Lugols recommends 40 drops per gallon. I usually use out about 8-16oz tank water personally and the appropriate amout of iodine.

MarkLW
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 06:07 PM
It is a turbinaria peltata (turban coral) will upload a picture in a couple of minutes... not sure how I would be able to cut off parts cause the lower cup portion is hard.. the lfs stated that we should put it in 1 quart of saltwater with about 8 drops of lugo solution for 20 minutes daily until the stuff is gone. its destroyed 1 inch of the coral per day for the past 3 days so 3 inches are now dead... got it from jim a long time ago and was nicest piece:( hope it does not die on us but that stuff spreads pretty fast over it... so you think the lugos wont cure it???

pic's coming!
Thank

MarkLW
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 06:07 PM
pic

MarkLW
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 06:41 PM
used toothbrush to scrub the jelly off and rinsed with tank water.. also brushed the green nasty bubbles off which seem to love our rocks... wish could get rid of but everytime we clean off the rocks they come back. thave mainly mushrooms, some xenia and star polyps in there right now... hope the disease wont spread to the softies

Richard
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 06:44 PM
Some literature suggests some success with antibiotics, neomycin being one of them. Hikari has a new product called Bio-Bandage Powder which contains neomycin. It is applied directly to infected areas and when the powder gets wet it forms an antibiotic gel which seals the infected area kind of like the liquid bandage stuff for cuts and scrapes you get at drug stores. It is made for wounds on fish but may be worth a shot if your up to experimenting. I would still disinfect the area with lugol's solution before applying. Good luck, coral infections are tough.

JimD
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 06:47 PM
Ok, this may seem a bit drastic but this is what I would do, get a hammer and a screwdriver and chisel off the entire affected area, I would even go as far as to removing a few live polyps along the affected area to make sure you remove all of the infection. I wouldnt even mess with the Lugals at this point. I know it seems ruthless but the results, IMO, will be worth it.

MarkLW
Sun, 13th Feb 2005, 07:06 PM
Thank you for all the advice... It may be a little exteme for us to chisel a third of it off cause the other third has the grass polyp growing on the top knob and we now have a 4 to 5 inch strip left in the center of this coral.. thinking may be a lost cause cause so little of it is left... if the lugols dip does not work may try the neomycin above or may have to remove coral completely... but if it does work... will the turban coral eventually grow back? how fast do these things grow? it Was such a pretty piece:(((

Richard
Mon, 14th Feb 2005, 02:38 AM
If you can stop the infection turbinaria can grow back.

Instar
Mon, 14th Feb 2005, 03:30 AM
I would at least save some of it if you can, even it that means the chisel method after all else has failed to stop its progress.
If you already had the neomycin going, it might have had a chance but sounds like its going pretty fast and your about to loose the whole thing. In that case I would frag it with the chisel, and dip the good part in a coral dip triple strength or lugols to be safe as well. It might still be worth getting the neomycin to have on hand just in case. Then try to figure out the cause so you can prevent it again or fix whatever is wrong. You can keep a piece with your polyp on it, no need to throw that out, just frag it off and keep it. Good luck, I hope you win against that disaease.

Instar
Mon, 14th Feb 2005, 03:37 AM
Star polyps will sting stoneys like that and start diseases, so keep the stars back away from things like that.